EXACT doses of Vitamin E and Selenium

Mountain Granny

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
Can someone please give me exact doses of vitamin E and selenium for my 8 week old silkie baby with wry neck. I have looked on here and found an old post where it was asked but no one answered it. I have vitamin E liquid caps and selenium in pills & B complex in pills. I don't want to give her to much and hurt her !!! Would a brace help ?
Any information is greatly appreciated, I have never dealt with this before.

Is it ok to use Vitamin E from a supplement store or is there a specific kind for chickens? Asking for a friend… jk! Asking bc i’ve had chickens for almost a year and this is my first sick one. Wry neck i believe.
E1F449FA-C276-4640-A860-03942C31304E.jpeg

Last edited:
Vitamins are vitamins. The difference comes when you formulate a multivitamin solution for chickens such as Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-drench. They are not the same multivitamin formulation as human multivitamins, although the individual vitamins in them are the same thing, the difference being human daily requirements compared to chicken daily requirements being much different.

In the case of wry neck, treating with a multivitamin supplement for chickens, while beneficial from a daily minimum requirement basis, is not adequate to treat a vitamin E deficiency that causes wry neck. That's why you need to buy the vitamin E capsules and give this concentrated dose.

Vitamins are vitamins. The difference comes when you formulate a multivitamin solution for chickens such as Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-drench. They are not the same multivitamin formulation as human multivitamins, although the individual vitamins in them are the same thing, the difference being human daily requirements compared to chicken daily requirements being much different.

In the case of wry neck, treating with a multivitamin supplement for chickens, while beneficial from a daily minimum requirement basis, is not adequate to treat a vitamin E deficiency that causes wry neck. That's why you need to buy the vitamin E capsules and give this concentrated dose.
Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I got some vitamin E gellcaps (they only had gel), cut it open and used a syringe to slowly get it in my chickens beak. He isn’t eat or drinking. His neck is almost all the way around :( he does slowly drink if I put a couple drops on the side of his beak but that’s it. It’s been 24 hours since I first notice something was off and it has been a rapid decline. Hoping the vitamins will kick in and with a second dose in the morning he will be ready/able to eat! I also gave him some selenium gel that I had around for goats

I also found some liquid e and poultry nutridrench on valleyvet.com. Had no idea that stuff existed. Used to getting necessities at TSC and they don’t stock much for chickens. Time get stocked up in case I end up with another sick/injured chicken

Popping the vitamin E capsule into the beak is much easier than dismantling the pill and dealing with the oil at large. Chickens have no problem swallowing pills as many humans do.

Getting pills into a wry neck victim requires holding the chicken and coaxing the head back into a normal position. It can be done with a little patience.

I am treating a wry neck chicken currently. She has a tumor on her head causing it. She gets a total of five pills each morning, E, selenium, B-complex, tumeric, and vitamin A, and one vitamin E in the evening. Her wry neck is very serious and recurring. But, she has no problem swallowing all the pills. And yes, the pills are definitely helping her. She now eats and drinks on her own and is getting around quite well. However, at her worst, I had to tube feed her to keep her from dying of starvation and dehydration. You may need to do this until your hen can eat and drink on her own. Are you prepared to do this?

Goodness that is a lot! She is lucky you know what to do! Ill add A in the mix. As for feeding mine - I have no idea how to do tube feedings. I can do eggs and mix feed with water and slowly feed that way but that’s about it. If this guy doesn’t improve we may cull instead of hope he doesn’t starve to death. Hopefully the vitamins perk him up so he will start eating

No need for your chicken to get vitamin A. Mine is blind in one eye and has limited vision in the other. The vitamin A is to try to nourish the good eye and slow down her vision loss. She's also nearly fourteen years old so her aging system isn't as able to synthesize nutrients and that's one reason she's getting so many pills.

If you decide you want to tube feed, let me know and I'll instruct you. Tracking down the equipment is the hardest part, which involves plastic tubing as used in oxygen delivery and aquariums and an oral syringe to fit the tubing. The rest is much easier than trying to use an oral syringe alone.

Goodness that is a lot! She is lucky you know what to do! Ill add A in the mix. As for feeding mine - I have no idea how to do tube feedings. I can do eggs and mix feed with water and slowly feed that way but that’s about it. If this guy doesn’t improve we may cull instead of hope he doesn’t starve to death. Hopefully the vitamins perk him up so he will start eating
how is your chick doing?

Back
Top Bottom