Exactly how do you dust a chicken for lice?

I use a mix of sevin dust. I take an old panty hose and cut off the foot. Put a good bit of the dust down in the toe and tie it off. Then I use it like a powder puff.

If you will hold them upside down and then puff it all over them you will be sure to get it down in the feathers next to the skin. They will hold out the wings or you can gently pull them out and puff the little dust ball all underneath. If you get someone to help you hold the chickens or you hold the chickens and someone else puff them you can easily do a hen from top to bottom in 30 seconds or less.

It really won't hurt them if you are quick and gentle.

And don't worry. Your kids can't get chicken lice.
smile.png

I also hold them upside down to make sure i get the dust underneath the feather. Be careful because if they have just drank water sometimes will come back out. You don't want them to choke. I hole both leggs in one and and dust with the other. i try to not hang them upside down the whole time, just when I'm trying to get under the wings and on the belly. You'll do just fine, and you will figure out what works best for you.

thanks, the panty hose trick is a great idea!

Funny, my dd comes in and wants me to check her hair b/c she's itchy. I check her-she's fine. then myds comes in and tells me he squashed a grey bug off his sis. So I was ready to double check, and dd chimes in saying the bugs are on the chickens. Can you say 'wave of relief?' I knew you can'tget chicken lice.

When do I need to repeat this? And also, what about my broody and her three (so far) new chicks?

Puff them again in about a week. Also you need to clean and dust the hen house because the lice can be in the bedding.

I would dust the broody. The chicks will get powdered by being under her wings. I think they will be fine. i have never had to dust babies before.

Thanks, MissPrissy! bunch of firsts here for me. first goats, first broody, first chicks, first bout with lice, and on Monday, first time for meat chicks.

When it rains it pours!

I had better luck with Malathion. Mix up a five gallon bucket of it and dunk them. After I dunked them all and turned them loose in the yard to run I sprayed down the coop with it too. I havn't had any trouble with mites since. That was over a year ago.

Hello,
This is my first post here. I was following the chat about lice and I was hoping someone could elaborate on the use of sevin dust and not eating the eggs for a week.
My pullets have just started to lay and we get 6 or 7 eggs a day. Of course I hate to waste them, but I really don't want to poison my family either.
Thanks!

I just use poultry dust (permethrin) from the co-op. This works on lice and mites. After reading the research suggesting a link between respiratory problems and turning hens upside down, I have chosen to dust them "right side up;" I wait until they perch in the evening, pull on some surgical gloves, and using a powder container I "poof" their behinds, being sure to get to the skin really well. I also gently dust under each wing, and then I put the girls to bed.

I try to do this 1x/week; I am actually going to do it right now.
smile.png
I feel safe enough with this product that I do not discard eggs.

In tandem with dusting, I also use a permethrin spray (from co-op; I hand mix) for surfaces on the outside of the coop and run; I generally only do this if I notice a problem, and I wait until the girls are outside in the yard.

MissPrissy, I know you have a lot of chicken experience. I would welcome any comments you have about the research I mentioned above. Have you ever had any respiratory issues with your chix? Is this even worth worrying about?

Jen in TN

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom