Excited in SE Ohio!

newbie2016

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2016
SE Ohio
Hello I am new to all of this. On Pintetest, I kept seeing BYC and had no idea what it was. Now, I do and am so excited. I have 6 (4-5 week pullets from Tractor Supply not sure of breed) and 2 (2 week old Plymouth Barred Rock pullets). Going to build coop next weekend and looking forward to researching on here.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful Learning Center
caf.gif

Good luck with your flock
D.gif

Are the older & younger chicks all in the same brooder?. Even a week or two can make a big difference in size. The big ones may trample the small ones, or bully them away from food and water. Plus the older chicks don't need as much heat as the younger ones. At 2 weeks or so of age, the pecking order starts forming and the littles will be at the bottom of the heap. They would do best in a separate broody that caters to just them.

I kept them apart and was informed they should be put together so the pecking order happens and they know their place. I put them in for short periods of time and now they are together all the time. They are getting along fine. When the bigger ones are drinking water the two little ones walk under them to get to the water too and the older ones let them. During the times I check on them, they older ones sleep off to the side of the heat lamp (not directly under) and now the two little ones prefer to scoot in between them and all you see is their little black heads amongst the yellow chicks. I hope I did the right thing.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Well, the Mill where I picked up the two Barred Rocks told me to do that. I need all the advice I can get. Brand new at all of this. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom