Excited to be starting my flock!

HisBoog

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Upstate SC
Hi y'all!!!

I am gonna go ahead a say that the introduction is not my most favorite thing to do...but I am excited about being here so it is making this a little less painful

I am a 30-something wife and mom to three boys! My husband is Deputy at our local Sheriff's department and I am a "newbie" stay at home Mom. I worked in insurance until this past October when we reached the point that I could stay home. I grew up in the country on a small farm, but moved "city side" after high school. We bought a small piece of land just over two years ago, and are slowly making it our farm!

As I mentioned, I grew up around chickens, and a lot of other animals...but I am nervous about starting my own flock. I tend to over think, over research, and make everything over difficult So I am here for advice and education!! We currently do not have any chickens or chicks...or even a coop. When we bought our land it came with a coop, but it has since been taken apart. We have kept the reusable materials (mostly wood and hinges for doors) and plan to start the construction of our coop using that plus other materials we have collected. This is my project as I am the one that dying to have chickens and fresh eggs for me and all my boys. So our goal is egg production and pets, more than meat chickens or breeding.

I am looking forward to picking as many brains as possible to make sure I chose the right breeds for my flock. As well as, hopefully, make some new friends along the way!!

Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

instawelcome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom