Excited to start a chicken farm!

ashebione

Hatching
Jan 29, 2016
My name is Ashley. I am about to start on the adventure of having a chicken farm. I am excited to meet everyone and learn anything I can from you guys.

Alright Ashley,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful Learning center
caf.gif

Try reading the Forum Nav: there are many different Trends to choose from and people to help you
highfive.gif

Hi Ashley and welcome to BYC. Theres lots to learn just keeping a few chickens, so i think this coming year will be a steep learning curve for establishing a farm.

I wish you all the best, and please tell us what your plans are.

Cheers
CT

Im having a really hard time finding a coop that is going to be good and knowing what will be sturdy and safe enough. I am planning on building a big run and dont want to spend a fortune on the coop. I will probably have up to 6-7 hens eventually. Any thoughts?

Stay away from the cute prefab coops that you can buy at the local feedstore ($400 range). Your best bet is to start with CL. Look for an old shed, coop or playhouse that is large enough (4x8 or 6x8 would be a good place to start). Look in the free section for lumber and plywood. Look for a old swingset that could be used for the framework for the run. An old trampoline frame is a score too. The wire (hardware cloth) is the thing to buy. Look at building a hoop run. Fairly inexpensive to build and easy to expand.

Back
Top Bottom