Excited to start a chicken farm!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ashebione, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ashebione

ashebione New Egg

Jan 29, 2016
    My name is Ashley. I am about to start on the adventure of having a chicken farm. I am excited to meet everyone and learn anything I can from you guys.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Ashley, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful Learning center [​IMG]

Try reading the Forum Nav: there are many different Trends to choose from and people to help you [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Ashley and welcome to BYC. Theres lots to learn just keeping a few chickens, so i think this coming year will be a steep learning curve for establishing a farm.

I wish you all the best, and please tell us what your plans are.

Cheers
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Ashley- Welcome to the BYC flock

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Ashley. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on gander007; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. ashebione

ashebione New Egg

Jan 29, 2016
    Im having a really hard time finding a coop that is going to be good and knowing what will be sturdy and safe enough. I am planning on building a big run and dont want to spend a fortune on the coop. I will probably have up to 6-7 hens eventually. Any thoughts?

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Stay away from the cute prefab coops that you can buy at the local feedstore ($400 range). Your best bet is to start with CL. Look for an old shed, coop or playhouse that is large enough (4x8 or 6x8 would be a good place to start). Look in the free section for lumber and plywood. Look for a old swingset that could be used for the framework for the run. An old trampoline frame is a score too. The wire (hardware cloth) is the thing to buy. Look at building a hoop run. Fairly inexpensive to build and easy to expand.

10. ashebione

ashebione New Egg

Jan 29, 2016
    Okay cool thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by