Exercise for baby chicks?

VictoriaA

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
This is my first time taking care of baby chicks. They are a little over a week old. I'm wondering if we should offer some more exercise. I haven't seen them being very active. Should we take them out and let them flap their wings and try to fly a bit? Their brooder is about a foot deep, with chicken wire on top since we have dogs and can't let them wander around, and I'm worried they might need more vertical space.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with chicks not exercising enough, so I think that your chicks are probably fine. How big is the brooder? Ideally, each chick should have 1/2 square foot of space until they reach six-eight weeks old or so.

With that said, when I have chicks, I often let them run around. They like running and flapping their wings, and exploring a new envirorment. They especially like to go outside (just don't keep them out there for too long, as baby chicks get cold quickly).

Thanks for the reply. The space is 3x3x1. There are six chicks.

I'd love to let them out in the house, but we don't have a good space where they wouldn't go hiding under things. Not to mention we have a couple of dogs that are too curious for our liking.

I'll have to see about fencing off an area outside for them. About how warm would you recommend it be for them?

Last edited:
I usually let 1-2 week old chicks outside supervised when it's sunny out. If they stop running around and just stand there huddled together I would gather them back to the brooder.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't take them out if the temperature was under 75 degrees F, or if there was a strong wind. And, limit the time outside to 15 minutes or so until they get all of their feathers in. If they act cold, take them back inside.

I have a large cage that I just take the top off of and put outside in the yard. That way the chicks can exercise, dust bathe, etc., and I don't have to be right there to watch them. This picture shows my bantam and her babies checking it out.

Edited because I need to learn to proofread!

Last edited:
Inside the brooder can we I allow my 4 day old chicks to run around. They are already running around but not sure if I should let them! Can they burn to much energy and stop growing?

Inside the brooder can we I allow my 4 day old chicks to run around. They are already running around but not sure if I should let them! Can they burn to much energy and stop growing?
They will be perfectly fine! They run around all day. I have some that hatched late last night early this morning that are in the brooder running around like crazy!

Back
Top Bottom