"Exercise in Futility"?

Syo

Hatching
Sep 28, 2017
I read through a few threads about plants in chicken yards, and I guess I'm not ready to accept defeat. We have an acre fenced, and several generations pecking the entirety now. We've sold a few roosters each generation, and a couple hems here and there. But, the resulting flock is one we love, and are happy to care for. We enjoy sitting out there, watching them, feeding treats.
So, I want to plant something that they'll leave alone long enough to get large in a narrow garden bed up against the block house. Full afternoon sun, in 9B, Central Florida. I had a sub- tropical relative of Mother of Millions going strong last fall, but the unnatural freezing we had did them in.

And, now it's a dead area turned dust bath. The flock destroys all I try to start there. Today, I stuck a bunch of large, silk sunflowers out there, to see if I can at least keep the girls out long enough to plant something!

I'm hoping for some hope...? Anyone?!?

Last edited:
Chicken wire and fencing. Make your garden area your garden and not chickens. Chickens are not malicious, just curious and eat all things opportunity allows.
This is what I do to grow things for self and not have destroyed.
IMG_20180421_184558054.jpg
IMG_20180421_184611813.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Welcome! I don't know what plants do well where you live, exactly, but what I did here might work for you.
Shrubs with edible (at least non-toxic) berries, a shade tree, and mints and catnip. Planted with mulch, and then stones as another layer around the plants. The stones (3" to 6" diameter) discourage digging, and saved the plantings. No dust bathing there!
Maybe citrus trees/ shrubs? Herbs? Tough spreading herbs like oregano and mint, especially.
Mary

So, I want to plant something that they'll leave alone long enough to get large in a narrow garden bed up against the block house.
Fence them out until plants are well established.
Might think about putting a guard on ground around bottoms of plants so they don't scratch up roots....like a large plastic disc with hole for plant stem and smaller holes for water infiltration.

Back
Top Bottom