Exhibit/Show quality vs Hatchery

Duckie doodle

Songster
Jun 27, 2019
NY
Hello,
I would like to post this threat to help others learn about the differences between show and hatchery ducks. I raise all sorts of different breeds and I do show my birds. I am going to share some photos of the visual differences. First, show waterfowl are much more colorful and tend to be larger compared to hatchery stock.

Hello,
I would like to post this threat to help others learn about the differences between show and hatchery ducks. I raise all sorts of different breeds and I do show my birds. I am going to share some photos of the visual differences. First, show waterfowl are much more colorful and tend to be larger compared to hatchery stock.
Don't want to be rude or anything but can you include more details? I would appreciate it a lot :D

Can I ask about the health traits that you focus on? For example, hatchery stock is bred without consideration for their long-term health, leading to leg issues in large breeds and horrid reproductive issues all-around. This hasn’t been challenged much, I assume because most people don’t plan to keep poultry for their full natural life. When one is breeding show quality stock, is their longevity taken into account?

Cayuga. First photo is exhibit/show. 2nd is hatchery.

Attachments

• 20211022_160419.jpg
    20211022_160419.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210213_145327.jpg
    20210213_145327.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 13
Can I ask about the health traits that you focus on? For example, hatchery stock is bred without consideration for their long-term health, leading to leg issues in large breeds and horrid reproductive issues all-around. This hasn’t been challenged much, I assume because most people don’t plan to keep poultry for their full natural life. When one is breeding show quality stock, is their longevity taken into account?
I focus on the strongest, most robust and healthy birds when breeding & raising them. I also try to stick as close to standard that is possible.

Back
Top Bottom