exhibition/heritage Barred Rocks - History, breeding, and discussion

From the Plymouth Rocks:

MATING PLYMOUTH ROCKS.
In writing the above pen-picture vve have described the perfect specimen. If we could find birds of both sexes scoring 92 to 95, and having the color of plumage described, and should mate them together, we would surely have as nearly a perfect pen as nature will permit. If we could secure birds having both the shape and color we have described, we should, •of course, have a perfect mating. The art of mating any breed is to mate the largest possible number in such a manner that we shall secure prime specimens from each pen. The number we secure will of course depend upon how nearly perfect the parent birds are. How to secure a large number of prime birds is the ever recurring, momentous question. Until all breeders will agree to come to one rule and work together we shall have chaos.
My course would be, first, to discard every specimen that has positive black or positive white in its plumage, retaining no male that was not bluish-gray rn color, barred with a darker blue. These two shades of course would vary, producing light, medium, or dark colored birds. In all breeds there may be seven shades between the lightest and darkest specimens.
I n selecting the females, take those from light, bluish-gray, barred with light slate-blue, to those that are pure bluish-gray barred with blue-black which stops short of a positive black Such specimens, if they score as fowls from 88 upwards, and as chickens from 90 upwards, are strictly first class. If 1 had twenty-four such females I should divide them into three groups. If I had forty, I should make five groups or flocks of them. The lightest males I should mate to the darkest females, and so on down the line. The middle pen would seem to be the nearest perfection, but I should secure some fine chicks from all of the pens. If this course were continued for three years, I do not think the breeder would again indulge in what is called double mating.
^Should a breeder select a pair, male and female, of the color 1 have described, that are not related, and follow my breeding chart in his subsequent matings, he would soon show a flock as even in type and color as can be produced in any breed, and I believe that only in this way can it be done. He must continue selecting as breeders birds that closely resemble in type and color the first pair, then will he continue to reproduce the merits of the first parents of his strain.
http://books.google.com/books?id=WwxBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA11&output=html_text#c_top
I hope this turns into a great thread!
Punky

Last edited:
I'm sure I find lots more!

The Birth of an American Legend

by Kirk Keene

The year was 1869, and the terrible struggle that had almost destroyed a Nation was finally over. With four years of hardship behind them, the people longed for a positive change. This change was reflected in every aspect of American life, and the infant purebred poultry industry was not unaffected. For years, the massive Asiatics had been the rage. Close-feathered Orientals, and flighty Mediterraneans had also been tried, but the American people wanted more. They wanted a breed that represented their ideals and expectations. They wanted a breed that had superior economic qualities, yet maintained a regal character. The breed that would emerge from this era would become the Plymouth Rock.

Mr. D.A. Upham of Worcester, MA was the man who set the breed as we know it in motion. It was he who crossed pullets of Black Java ancestry with a common dunghill cock, which sported a single comb and rudimentary Barred feathers. The progeny from this cross was severely culled, and only those with clean yellow legs and the Barred feather were kept for future matings. Thus, Mr. Upham’s strain of Plymouth Rocks came into prominence. His was not the only version of Plymouth Rock, however. The name of the breed was actually borrowed from an unsuccessful attempt from years before, and other men were in the process of building this strain as well. A Mr. Spaulding and a Mr. Drake were working separately to build such a breed. Both men enjoyed some success, but it was Mr. Upham who received the greatest credit. It was at the Worcester, MA poultry exhibition in 1869 that Mr. Upham unveiled his creation.

In 1873, the description of the Plymouth Rock shape was a far cry from today’s ideal. An early illustration from Poultry World shows a very short-backed male, possessing a poor comb and tail structure, along with a female shaped similar to a Dominique. A mere six years later, the breed was considerably fuller and longer, and not too far off the Standard description of Rocks up to the early 1900’s. In 1910, the American Poultry Association adopted a new Standard for most breeds-the Plymouth Rock included. The most relevant change was in the back and tail. The new Standard called for a male to carry his tail at a 45 degree angle, while the female must be at 40 degrees. Breadth across the back had become a desirable trait, and excess cushion in the females was eliminated. Since 1910, very little has changed in the makeup of the Standard-bred Plymouth Rock. The back-line was gradually decreased to its present state, but most other features have remained intact. This fact speaks volumes, that a breed with such an early origin still maintains the qualities set forth by the pioneering creators.

As stated, the Barred Rock is the original of the varieties. This is the foundation the others would use as a springboard from which to vault themselves into prominence. The next variety to be bred would be the White. Some early literature suggests the first known strain of the White Plymouth Rock was, in fact, a strain of albinos bred from Barreds. In 1884, a Mr. Frost of Maine advertised White Rocks, and such was the case. Apparently, not all chicks carried this trait, and the strain soon disappeared. Other White breeds were crossed with the Barreds, and by 1910, White Rocks were prominent features at both shows and on farms. The creators had achieved the proper type as seen in the Barreds, and their destiny as one of the most popular exhibition and commercial breeds had begun.

Over the years, other non-Standard varieties appeared, then vanished. Both Rose and Pea combed varieties were bred, but the Plymouth Rock head demanded a single comb, and so it remains today. Golden Barreds and Quail varieties were created, but did not fall into favor of capable breeders. As we enter the twenty-first century, the grand Plymouth Rock is still with us, a reminder of those who came before us and strove to bring forth this Great American Creation
http://www.showbirdbid.com/joomla/rockclub/

Last edited:
Some pics I like
63711_31282_scan0003add.jpg

63711_230753013.jpg

63711_227358713.jpg

63711_imagescaik9o9l.jpg

63711_035.jpg

63711_036.png

I know Kathy has more like this,

For anyone looking for quality barred Plmouth Rocks large fowl, Bob Blosl has a list of breeders here I doubt you will be disapointed
wink.png

Maybe Bob himself will find this thread * hint *
lol.png

punky

Last edited:
Just feeding one of my seems to be failed threads
smile.png

From the Plymouth rocks
CARE OF THE BREEDING PEN.
While it is necessary to have the best blood and quality in the breeding pen to secure'good results, there are many other conditions that are equally as important in the production of the winning show bird.
The breeding fowls should have a large grass range during the breeding season, so that they may have perfect health and vigor, and that the eggs laid by them will contain strong germs produced from nature's food. The exercise, insects and green food which nature supplies have much to do with the vigor and development of the coming chicks. Give them nature from the beginning until they are ready for the show room and breeding pen. Hatch and raise them with hens, and give the chicks the opportunity to roam for insects as soon as they have the strength and desire to do so. Give them an abundance of fresh air and room in their roosting quarters. Deprive them of nothing that will add to their thrift and comfort, and when the birds get into strong competition in the
show room you will be well paid for your extra care. They will have the size, the color, the form, the style and vigor, all of which should be combined in the winning show bird.
For over twenty-five years I have bred the Barred Plymouth Rock, and have yet to find a fowl with more desirable qualities. Their great popularity has been earned by their real practical merit. Their beautiful form and color will always make them the ideal of the true fancier.
Punky

Back
Top Bottom