exhibition/heritage Barred Rocks - History, breeding, and discussion

Here is some information I typed up, from The American Breeds of Poultry by Frank Platt, 1921

This was written before the US Standard was changed in circa 1929 in favour of the dark cockerel breeders that are the common bird today.
Australia did not follow the US & stuck to a two pen system, darker cockerel breeders & lighter pullet breeders. These two lines have now become two separate varieties of Barred Rock in Australia.
Visiting American breeders & judges consider the Australian birds to be the best Barred Rocks in the World.
David​

Quote:
This was written before the US Standard was changed in circa 1929 in favour of the dark cockerel breeders that are the common bird today.
Australia did not follow the US & stuck to a two pen system, darker cockerel breeders & lighter pullet breeders. These two lines have now become two separate varieties of Barred Rock in Australia.
Visiting American breeders & judges consider the Australian birds to be the best Barred Rocks in the World.
David

I'd love to see pictures of these barred rocks!
Is this a good site? http://www.freewebs.com/plymouthrock/rocksdownunder.htm

Last edited:
Quote:
David

I have read that somewhere as well, David. I also read that E. B. Thompson exported stock to Australia way back in the early 1900s. I wonder if his stock continues to produce there. I find the history fascinating. I believe someone here in the USA is working on (or maybe already has) importing Barred Rocks from Australia. Can't recall where I read that.

Couple of pics from today
63711_barred_rocks1_026.jpg

63711_barred_rocks1_019.jpg

63711_barred_rocks1_012.jpg

63711_barred_rocks1_020.jpg

Now wait, Punky. I thought we were gonna discuss history and breeding here. No?

Pictures are, of course, helpful for breeding discussions. As a matter of fact, I am in the process of getting pictures together for one of my mentors. He is gonna help me decide which cockerel to use with each pullet. I have 3 cockerels and 6 pullets. I am likely going to have 3 pens.

What is your plan, Punky? Tell us the features you are breeding for, what improvements or changes you are looking for.

Quote:
In my birds I want to mprove the tale on the male, combs, shape over all, and beak color is a little of
punky
BTW it says and disscusion so I think pics are OK
wink.png
they are always great to see!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom