Exibition Chickens

I see that you live in Indiana where there are several excellent poultry shows every fall and spring. I would strongly recommend a subscription to the Poultry Press www.poultrypress.com and find out where the shows are near you and visit them. Most breeder/exhibitors are more than willing to talk chicken to anyone who will stand still for more than three seconds, this is the time to listen and learn. Most shows have sales areas with very good birds for sale at more than reasonable prices but don't be shocked when they quote $50 per bird, this is a reasonable price when you calculate years of breeding a line, feed costs, labor, etc....
When you actually set your eyes on true, bred to the Standard, show birds you'll immediately know the difference. I have been breeding and showing poultry for the better part of 40 years and I am still learning, I figure the day I know it all I'll be showing birds in heaven! Lord willing!
If I may ask, what breed and variety are you interested in, we may be able to direct you to some good birds not far from you.

Blessings,

Bo

I see that you live in Indiana where there are several excellent poultry shows every fall and spring. I would strongly recommend a subscription to the Poultry Press www.poultrypress.com and find out where the shows are near you and visit them. Most breeder/exhibitors are more than willing to talk chicken to anyone who will stand still for more than three seconds, this is the time to listen and learn. Most shows have sales areas with very good birds for sale at more than reasonable prices but don't be shocked when they quote $50 per bird, this is a reasonable price when you calculate years of breeding a line, feed costs, labor, etc....
When you actually set your eyes on true, bred to the Standard, show birds you'll immediately know the difference. I have been breeding and showing poultry for the better part of 40 years and I am still learning, I figure the day I know it all I'll be showing birds in heaven! Lord willing!
If I may ask, what breed and variety are you interested in, we may be able to direct you to some good birds not far from you.

Blessings,

Bo
i actually was thinking about getting a subscription to poultry press. My dad and i saw this paper at a show and couldnt believe that there was a paper just for chickens. I thought it was pretty cool. i do agree that $50 would be a good price for such a high quality chicken, but i would be lucky if my dad would buy me a $20 chickens. Me and my dad built a chicken coop this spring and that is when i really got into showing. Soi went to county and state fair. I have only ever been in one open show and i liked that more i think than county and state fair. Once i start earning money from shows i might be able to buy a $50 chicken but that depends. I am only thriteen and i think that i have learned more about chickens in a few months than i have about most things. now i have a huge binder with notes, expenses,breeds,and shows in it. So far i have had a lot of fun with chickens and it is definatley hobby that i will carry on as an adult.

Well some ideas for getting the $50 chickens is to ask for them for Christmas or birthday presents, ask for extra chores where you will earn some cash to purchase them yourself, sell your services helping people put up Christmas lights or shoveling driveways/sidewalks when there is snow, etc. Good luck!
that was actually one of the things i put on my christmas list. Well not $50 chickens, but i did put chickens. I also put the standard of breeds perfection.

Quote: Make sure to discus about the quality of birds generally being reflected in the price you pay for them, and that you are wanting birds that will be competative, And while you probably won't make a profit on the cost for their care, selling some of their offspring could cover the cost of the initial outlay for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom