Exotic Duck Help!

When you say "non domestic breeds" are you thinking about taking them from the wild or do you know of someone who breeds domestic ducks that aren't usually domesticated?
Breeds domestic ducks that aren't usually domesticated? OP would be looking for someone who keeps migratory waterfowl and has the federal permit to sell them. They aren't domesticated, they are wild species kept in captivity.

Breeds domestic ducks that aren't usually domesticated? OP would be looking for someone who keeps migratory waterfowl and has the federal permit to sell them. They aren't domesticated, they are wild species kept in captivity.
There are also a lot of wild duck species that aren't regulated and don't need permits to own or sell. These would be non native species, ones that aren't protected by the migratory bird treaty act. Some examples are mandarin ducks, marbled teal, ringed teals, scaley sided mergansers, red creasted pochards, and many others. Northern pintails and cinnamon teals are protected though Hannah raises them both and has the permit to sell them so if she ever gets on and sees that she was mentioned in this thread maybe she could sell you some next season.
The main difference between keeping regulated species and non regulated species is going to be that you can't sell or transfer ownership of them or their offspring. You also will have to federally mark the birds and their offspring by seamless banding, clipping a hind toe on the right foot, pinnioning them, or giving them a tattoo on their webbing. The birds you would be buying should be federally marked with one of these methods and you will get a 3-186 form from the seller that has all the details to prove your birds are legally sourced if it was ever in question.

Hi, I am very new to all of this, but am determined to have a pet duck by the end of this summer. I have been looking into exotic breeds, maybe a pintail or cinnamon teal. Is there anybody here that could teach me a little bit about the ropes?
Have you had ducks before? I think if they are your first ducks you would probably be better of with a Domestic breed, wild breeds are well... wild. If you want them to be pets domestics would be much better. If you just want something that looks cool and different Muscovy are cool, or call ducks can come in all kinds of cool colors.

Have you had ducks before? I think if they are your first ducks you would probably be better of with a Domestic breed, wild breeds are well... wild. If you want them to be pets domestics would be much better. If you just want something that looks cool and different Muscovy are cool, or call ducks can come in all kinds of cool colors.
I have never had ducks before, I have been on the fence between getting call ducks, or going all out and getting a pair of exotic birds, but the more I look into it the more it seems like I should start with call ducks and get some serious experience before I go in head first.

I have never had ducks before, I have been on the fence between getting call ducks, or going all out and getting a pair of exotic birds, but the more I look into it the more it seems like I should start with call ducks and get some serious experience before I go in head first.
If you do it right and have a good set up you could go in head first with pintails, they are one of the easiest to keep and most calm species, about the same as keeping mallards. Cinnamon teals are also a very good choice to begin with.

Hi, I am very new to all of this, but am determined to have a pet duck by the end of this summer. I have been looking into exotic breeds, maybe a pintail or cinnamon teal. Is there anybody here that could teach me a little bit about the ropes?
I raise both species! What would you like to know?

I raise both species! What would you like to know?
Hi there!!! After talking to somebody I met from around where I live in Texas, I think I have decided on getting a pair of northern pintails. I would plan on having a pen for them made of chicken wire and wood that is about 10x10 feet, with a water source, whether it’s a small trough or a kiddie pool. Does this sound good for a start?

Back
Top Bottom