Expand Brooder or Use Two?

I just put my two weekers (chicks and keets) in my huge outside brooder. It's 80+ here and about 65 at night. It's got a heat lamp, food, water, etc and the only difference is it's outside instead of in a bedroom with a window open. But it's also HUGE (5x8!) and there's lots of room for them to fly around. My last batch I kept in my sunroom until 5 weeks but by that time they were getting way too big for the brooder - and there were only eight. Now I have 6 chicks and 17 keets so they are outta the house as of today.
smile.png

My heat lamp is on today during the day, but that's because I have a few keets that are a little younger than the others and still need the 90+ temps. Since the brooder is so big, they can definitely get away from the light when needed. Plus it's in the shade.

Here's my big brooder:

51848_p1000247.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. We went ahead and moved them out into the coop last night with a heat lamp (they didn't seem to gravitate it as much as they did when they were indoors), and they seemed to have the best sleep they've ever had. Usually, when they were in the house, I'd pass their makeshift brooder and they'd sleep--wake up--sleep--wake up routinely throughout the night. Last night, however, all of them were totally asleep and seemed VERY comfortable. We even found a name for one of our Wyandottes while we were watching them-- Intrepid, because she was the only one brave enough to explore the coop while everyone else was sleeping. ;p Today, however, temperatures have been absolutely horrible. Right now, it's 96 degrees, but it feels like it's over 100. The chicks' beaks are open and they're panting. Is there anything I can do for this, or are they just going to have to get used to the daytime heat?

Sorry I keep asking so many questions! lol

I'd freeze a couple of water bottles and put them in the coop with them (or run, if they have access to that). For older chicks (my big girls are 13 weeks), I also give them hunks of frozen fruit. I guess you could do a bit of that with the little ones but they'll need grit/sand if no dirt access.

Back
Top Bottom