Expanded metal

buffslat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Southeast Missouri
Has anyone thought about using expanded metal instead of hardware cloth for predator proofing? It would be a heavier gauge (thickness) at a slightly higher cost.

Of course and for small the smaller toy coop's it's great but for larger ones it will definitely be high $$$$. I think the main reason you may not have heard of it on here is it's way to practicle and folks are too cheap plus it's hard to find at walmart LOL. It will also take some doing for most folks to cut and fit, because a cutting torch or hvy duty grinder is needed to cut and shape it and a welder to attach it properly. when was the last time you saw a BYCer mention they can torch & weld LOL. I have a bunch of it but am reluctant to use it on the large chicken pens as it might be better suited used elsewhere. I think I paid around $30.00 a 4X8 sheet of 1/2" heavy gauge 10 years ago and that was American steel, probably can't find that anymore so the price of chinese or mexican steel is cheaper IDK.

Yup. My husband insisted on it. Of course its not the entire wall, but is enough to discourage any night marauding raccoon. We sandwiched it... chickenwire, stud, expanded metal, chickenwire... and like I said, not the entire wall. We got sheets that were 3' x 8' for $6 and we needed 5... so it was $30.

Where we live, we have roof rats that seem to be the bigger problem... haha... so when you want to talk about the amount of steel wool plugging holes and the 2 dozen traps that decorate the roof of my coop... ugh. So yeah, when I get to redo or make another I will be using "dragon skin" for the entire screening.
smile.png

in the pic you can see that it doesn't come up that high, but for my purpose it was to keep the paws of the raccoon from getting in for easy pickin's

2.jpg

Yup. My husband insisted on it. Of course its not the entire wall, but is enough to discourage any night marauding raccoon. We sandwiched it... chickenwire, stud, expanded metal, chickenwire... and like I said, not the entire wall. We got sheets that were 3' x 8' for $6 and we needed 5... so it was $30.

Where we live, we have roof rats that seem to be the bigger problem... haha... so when you want to talk about the amount of steel wool plugging holes and the 2 dozen traps that decorate the roof of my coop... ugh. So yeah, when I get to redo or make another I will be using "dragon skin" for the entire screening.
smile.png

in the pic you can see that it doesn't come up that high, but for my purpose it was to keep the paws of the raccoon from getting in for easy pickin's

2.jpg

seems to be a nice idea and logic...

I have expanded metal flooring and my coop is raised about 2 feet off ground. In the summer is creates a lot of air in the coop which is nice. I love the flooring and once a year it is easy to hose everything down. Also, while large matter does not fall thru the floor everything else does. I do stack and stuff hay bales around the coop during the winter to prevent drafts but all in all the flooring is the only kind I will have.

Where did you find it for that price? That's a fantastic cost factor.

I do have to say, I KNOW! I was stunned when we found it for so cheap. I am in the northeast corner of the San Fernando Valley, one of the big parts of Los Angeles. There are many "discount" supply places and I got the expanded metal from a place called HD Supply (formerly known as Contractor's Warehouse), but unfortunately for you, it is a California thing
sad.png

I suppose you could search out where all the contractors/carpenters get their large supplies from, and I hope it wouldn't be a days outing <--- gosh, I hope that doesn't sound snotty like I am making a comment about living out in the boonies... cuz I would trade places with any of you in the blink of an eye!!!!
wink.png
Darn it! I'm still here!

I looked into it for the Norway rat issues here but the cost was way too high. I ended up with a heavier gauge hardware clot for the bottom run that was still cheaper.

Awe shoot, not to worry. My heart does go out to you in your time of sorrow, that is living where you do.
smile.png
If I had to move to Ca to get the cheap expanded metal, I'll just stay here and use HC.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom