Expanded the brooder

As long as it's fairly warm and they are out of the wind, you could give it a try.
Judge by their behaviors if they are comfortable or not.
If you have power in your coop, you could move them and their heating pad out there full time.

Of Course!
Are you able to raise the heating pad for space as they grow?
Can you turn the heating pad to lower setting?
Yep I raised it up a bit early this morning when refilling good and water. I went ahead and lowered the heat too, but that’s the lowest setting lol. I don’t have power to the coop yet so would have to run an extension cord. Not sure if I wanna do that or not lol

I don’t have power to the coop yet so would have to run an extension cord. Not sure if I wanna do that or not lol

Eh that's up to you. They're still very little so don't feel like you need to rush them outside, but it is an option as long as the coop is ready (the run can take longer as they don't need access to it right away). I had 2-day-old chicks outside with a heating pad at 60ish day, 40ish nights.

As long as the chicks know where the MHP is and can access it when they want, I wouldn't worry about the fact that they're not using it much. Since it's 65 in the house they only need to warm up once in a while during the day, and you may find they'll only use the heat pad for naps and sleeping in the evening even at this age.

Back
Top Bottom