expanded the ducks pond,,

Billy-jean

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I am so excited! I enlarged the ducks pond this am,,took a lot of hard digging and sweat,but finally done. Our ground is clay,so I extended the pond that I had,,so half is a lined pond and it expands out into a clay based opening,,and the water is holding great! takes a few days for the walls ect to become permanent,so the water is very muddy/murky,,but the ducks don't mind at all! They're loving it!
What do you think?
ps I had also expanded the duck family,so we needed to do this :)

and another angle :)

WOOT!

yesss.gif

Very nice! My husband and I were also discussing digging a pond out of our clay dirt. Did you have to do anything specific for the clay to hold the water well? Or is it simpler just to line it once its dug?

How do you clear out the dirty water? I was thinking about doing this. My ducks have found a decline in the property where rain water collects. It's deep enough to be a pond when it's wet, but it dries up quickly on nice days.

I used a liner for a couple years,,then saw it had a tear at the bottom,,but never emptied! realizing that our clay earth can hold it in,,so it gave me the idea of digging a big hole to see how long the water lasted in there,,and it lasted. it never emptied. So I expanded,,I know I will have to top it up every day,,but that's it! Easy as pie!! :)) and MUCH cheaper than a liner,those things are very expensive,especially when you want to keep adding more space to the pond. Go for it!

How do you clear out the dirty water? I was thinking about doing this. My ducks have found a decline in the property where rain water collects. It's deep enough to be a pond when it's wet, but it dries up quickly on nice days.
The water stays murky with a clay pond,,I will have to wait and see if maybe in time when the water settles,and the clay stiffens,it might get clearer...but I don't mind it murky,the ducks don't either :)
also,if you look at the end of the pond near the fence where the liner is,I have a drainage that goes into the ditch behind our property , So I put the hose in it once every few days to move it and clean it up a bit :)

Last edited:
Our pond is very similar. We ran a 3" drain line across the bottom and into the garden. Our veggies love duck water!

Back
Top Bottom