Expecting Chickens, by Spring 2013

MKoehling

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
Sachse, Texas
Hey folks. I expect to have 3-4 chickens in the Spring. I have pretty much decided on Easter Eggers, since N Texas can be hot in the summer. Any other breeds that are "heat-hearty" y'all recommend?

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. No breed suggestions but Howdy from another Texan
frow.gif

Welcome! I don't know about heat hardy, but a lot of hatcheries' descriptions will mention that. EE's are a great choice, imo, I love mine.

Hi and welcome. I have heard that the naked neck chickens can stand the heat since they only have half the feathers of other breeds but they sure look funny. Good luck to you.

Not sure about breeds. Perhaps if there's another breed your interested in you could just set up your chicken area to promoting cooling.

Texas can be much more humid than where I live which may make a difference (I live in the desert). I'm only familiar with Houston heat. :( But we have a Red Sex Link, 2 Barred Rocks, 4 Dark RIRs, and a Leghorn. They all do well in the dry heat with fresh water and lots of shade. We also have a mister on the rabbits that blows over into the chicken area.

Welcome to BYC!

I have heard that Sicilian Buttercups can handle the heat fairly well. I wanted some but a friend who is quite experienced said my cold winters would not be good.

Do you have a coop and run in the works? I wish I had finished mine before my chicks arrival, as they are 8 weeks and overflowing in a homemade pen while my handyman tinkers away at it!

GOod Luck, and have fun learning here while you count the days!

I love BYC!

MB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom