Expecting chicks week of Oct 1?

I had prepped the brooder before I left for the post office . I had my car warmed up too. Upon opening the box at the post office four were already dead. I got them home checked each one for pasty butt and dunked their beaks in water and sprinkeld some feed on the floor so they could locate it. The floor of the brooder is covered in paper towels by the way. In the first 12 hours the death toll was twelve and now it is sixteen. I have done all I know to do. One minute they are up and running around eating and drinking and they next time I check one or two will be laying there on their sides dead. I have never had this happen before. I called mpc and I guess they will send me more but I don't think I could stand going through this sort of thing again. I had never gotten chicks from them before. I had bought 100 chicks from Meyer's one died in transit and the rest survived to adulthood.

I wonder if your box of chicks got chilled or something. :(

That's terrible, how are they today?

I ordered dorkings and salmon faverolles pullets, then added two dark cornish bantams and two golden phoenix pullets. The dorkings are the sweetest of the bunch and already getting tailfeathers!

Last edited:
I received 8 chicks this morning, 5 penedesencas for me and 3 splash marans for my co-worker. One penedesenca DOA and one sluggish on arrival who died this evening. The remainder are actively preening, eating and drinking. Crossing my fingers that they all do OK!

I hope you have some electrolytes in their water. it helps alot. a 50/50 mix of Gatoraide and water works equily as well.

I hope you have some electrolytes in their water. it helps alot. a 50/50 mix of Gatoraide and water works equily as well.
On arrival I gave them sugar water--dipped their beaks and they drank eagerly. Since then have been using vitamin/electrolyte solution in their water. No further losses since those two in the first 24 hours. The remaining 6 are eating, drinking and growing. So far, so good!

On arrival I gave them sugar water--dipped their beaks and they drank eagerly. Since then have been using vitamin/electrolyte solution in their water. No further losses since those two in the first 24 hours. The remaining 6 are eating, drinking and growing. So far, so good!

:) so the answer was YES!
most folks overlook the importance of those electrolytes.
I doubt you will have anymore trouble.

Back
Top Bottom