Expelled oviduct

DebinCR

Chirping
Dec 16, 2021
I have a young hen who hasn't started laying. She spent a lot of time in nest boxes without results. I figured she was a 'late bloomer'. About a week ago she was acting distressed, so I massaged her, looking for a stuck first egg - nothing. So I injected some coconut oil into her cloaca to possibly loosen things up. She seemed to be OK. The next morning, her complete oviduct was in the poop tray below her roost!! Her behavior has been completely normal since then. I had been worming the flock prior to this. none of the other birds has a problem; all are very healthy. Any ideas?

...and still attached to her body?
Is she alive?
Pics of what was expelled would definitely help here.
I looked at a picture of an immature oviduct to determine what it was- there is NO doubt, I could hardly believe it. There was a tiny proto-egg in it . It landed in her poop tray. She is behaving normally, eating well. The color was good, not inflamed or infected in any way. I've never seen anything like it...

I looked at a picture of an immature oviduct to determine what it was- there is NO doubt, I could hardly believe it. There was a tiny proto-egg in it . It landed in her poop tray. She is behaving normally, eating well. The color was good, not inflamed or infected in any way. I've never seen anything like it...
You mean ovary?

Your descriptions don't match any anatomical terminology I am familiar with.
<scratcheshead>
Guessing maybe it was a bloody lump about the size of a grape with yellow yolk inside?
Immature ova not fully released from follicle.

Your descriptions don't match any anatomical terminology I am familiar with.
<scratcheshead>
Guessing maybe it was a bloody lump about the size of a grape with yellow yolk inside?
Immature ova not fully released from follicle.
I was too shocked to get pictures. The 'egg' inside was tiny, about 1/4". the total length of the oviduct was about 2". There was no blood. I'm guessing she had a genetic problem that caused it to not develop. Sorry about no pictures, I'll try to remember to get the camera if there's a next time. I'm not a techie at all...

I was too shocked to get pictures. The 'egg' inside was tiny, about 1/4". the total length of the oviduct was about 2". There was no blood. I'm guessing she had a genetic problem that caused it to not develop.
A hen's oviduct is approx. 25-27" long. I think what you found was an intact follicle with a tail, but without photos it's hard to know exactly what it was.

Take a look at the photos and links below, see if these are similar to what you saw.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ood-ball-inside-soft-shelled-egg-pic.1324813/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-gross-picture.1590786/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-out-of-old-english-game-bantam-hen.1321148/
1694358437372.png

1694358355789.png

1694358317102.png

Back
Top Bottom