Experience using caye ne pepper in food to deter squirrels?

Not really difficult. I dont have squirrels, but one source said add 1tbsp powder to 10 lbs of feed (seems low). It would be very easy to keep a spray bottle of homemade pepper water by the food dish and spray it. But I guess it depends on everyones setups and if they give a bowl of fresh feed everyday. Chicken feed shouldnt be getting wet in the rain anyway. But I imagine our setups are quite different, mine is very hands on and requires me to feed them twice a day, where others may put huge dishes that last a week and never touch their coops.

1-3 TB per 10 lbs of feed Cayenne Pepper 90,000 Heat Units. If strong enough to stop a bear it'll stop a squirrel.​

Has anyone used cayenne pepper to keep squirrels from eating the chickens' food? I like to leave the hens' pen door open while they're free-ranging so they can come back in to eat, and the squirrels are chowing down!
If you have or do use it, how much do you use? Do you sprinkle it on top or mix it in? Thanks for any advice!
How did this go? Did you try it? I am considering doing this so my dog will stop trying to dig into their area (as well as around the fence line). But we have a pretty big yard so I feel like I would need a Costco-sized bottle X1000 LOL

How did this go? Did you try it? I am considering doing this so my dog will stop trying to dig into their area (as well as around the fence line). But we have a pretty big yard so I feel like I would need a Costco-sized bottle X1000 LOL
I tried it, didn't seem to deter the squirrels. Maybe I needed to use more! What's working best for me is keeping the "bird" feeders (AKA squirrel feeders) filled in another area of the yard. That's obviously not going to help with your dog. I think it's worth a try, given how sensitive their sense of smell is!

Back
Top Bottom