Experience with Chick-N-Hutch?

texcalkas

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
On a whim this morning I bought a Chick-N-Hutch at a Tractor Supply store with the thought I would use it as a transition pen for baby chicks and keats. Now that I've got it home I am beginnning to have doubts since it looks terribly small. Does anyone have any experience with this pen? What I have now is a Cochin pair which I know are too big for it but I have 10 partridge Cochins coming in May and 10 guineas in June.

We have the Rabbit Hutch (made by Ware Mfg. I'm thinking it's the same size as their Chick-N-Hutch.

It's kinda small, in our opinion, so I've been using it to break our broody hens and as a hospital cage. We only have Bantam breeds and I think it would be way too small for Standard sized birds. I think several baby birds would out-grow it in no time.

Hopefully someone else will come along that also has experience with one of them.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I got the Chick-N-Hutch last year. It was small and flimsy, especially for the money it cost. I keep it as a transitional summer place, but no way could a flock larger than 3 live in it. Once your flock is a couple of weeks old they will have outgrown it.

Hi,
I bought one last year as well. It worked well for little ones getting used to the outdoors - I had 10 chicks. Its also a good isolation cage for an injured/sick bird.
But I agree, pretty flimsy for the price.
Terry

i also have the Rabbit hutch - but i got mine at half price this year because TSC is remodeling I am not sure i would have been as happy if i had paid full price but MM is selling them with the nest and rooster included so you may want to check that out

Hello to everyone who posted on my question about the Chick 'n' Hutch. I did take it back yesterday and don't regret doing so. I have looked at that same pen many times on various websites and each time thought, "Naw, it's too small". My gut instinct was correct.

I got one to. Butt since it was so small i added onto it. Here are the pics:
jeffrey101.jpg

jeffrey100.jpg

jeffrey102.jpg

when dawn and i buy somethiong like that, we blue print it before we put it together, on graph paper. then we build it and talk about the flaws. from there we devise our own plan and build post- production models. the practical poultry folks have it down to a science, they build to last 40 yrs, not crappy amerikan 1-2 yr standards.

cheers

doc

Back
Top Bottom