Experience with Ciprofloxacin eye drops

Jajika

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 24, 2007
Northern California
Hi All:

My adult RIR suddenly has a closed eye-lid. I didn't notice it until I returned from a three week trip. It happened while I was gone so I'm not sure what caused it.

It is not oozing, no pus and no trauma that I can see. Just closed.

She is eating, drinking, preening, pooping and otherwise acting normal.

I started with gently wiping the lid with normal saline. Then ordered Ciprofloxcin based on what I read here. I began three days ago to gently open the lid and put in two good drops twice a day.

So far I see no change.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geri

You can just heat up a tea bag, make it nicly warm without being hot and rest it on the chickens eye - I personally don't know why this works but it was reccomended to me by a vet friend and worked on my cockrel when he got in a fight. You'll probally have to make sure that it actually goes in her eye though. If not it's a stubbon infection you might need to go to the vets to get rid of.

Thanks Animol:

I seem to remember using tea bags for lots of ailments. I think there is something in "tea" that makes it soothing and healing.

See, we keep going back to old favorites that we used before modern medicine.

I'm going to use this as an additional treatment. The tea will not interefere with the antibiotic and actually help.

Super advice.

All best,

Geri

Hi All:

My adult RIR suddenly has a closed eye-lid. I didn't notice it until I returned from a three week trip. It happened while I was gone so I'm not sure what caused it.

It is not oozing, no pus and no trauma that I can see. Just closed.

She is eating, drinking, preening, pooping and otherwise acting normal.

I started with gently wiping the lid with normal saline. Then ordered Ciprofloxcin based on what I read here. I began three days ago to gently open the lid and put in two good drops twice a day.

So far I see no change.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geri

I know this is an old post, but we're dealing with a chick- 3/4 days old- who has weepy eyes, and swollen eye lids. Someone recommended Cipro drops, but I'm not sure where to get them, if they're safe, or how much to give her (since she's a chick.)

Have any thoughts?

I know this is an old post, but we're dealing with a chick- 3/4 days old- who has weepy eyes, and swollen eye lids. Someone recommended Cipro drops, but I'm not sure where to get them, if they're safe, or how much to give her (since she's a chick.)

Have any thoughts?
Here are 2 more links to the eye drops besides the one I gave you earlier on your other thread:

Ciprofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution 0.3%, 5 ml

$10.49 from Allivet Pet Pharmacy

15,722 seller reviews
Pink Eye · Liquid · 0.17 ounce
Ciprofloxacin ophthalmic solution is used to treat bacterial infections of the eye including conjunctivitis. Ciprofloxacin works by stopping the ...
More results for: cipro eye drops for chickens

Ciprofloxacin 0.3% Opthalmic Solution 5 mL

$9.99 from California Pet Pharmacy

2,265 seller reviews
Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic used for treatment of a wide range of infections in dogs and cats.
More results for: cipro eye drops for chickens

Back
Top Bottom