Experienced owner getting at it again!

mstr56

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
Hello! I am a young college graduate living in South East Idaho. I had chickens when I was in high school but when I left for college my parents decided to follow, so we had to sell our house and our chickens with them. Now that I am getting my own house, I can get chickens again! I am very excited to get back fresh eggs and those silly birds.

My very first question would be; Which way should I go chicken coop wise? Store bought 'pre built' or should I go all from scratch?

Welcome to BYC!

Do you already know what chicken breeds will be housed in the new coop?
I would build my own or - like the others already suggested - convert a massive garden shed, as the prefabricated "chicken coops" are vastly overpriced and lacking space and security.
That's a good point. I know I can find Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, and Leghorns where I live. I also am looking to get an Amerucana or two.

That's a good point. I know I can find Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, and Leghorns where I live. I also am looking to get an Amerucana or two.
This breed list would sum up to at least 10 rather big chickens (it is best to purchase at least two of a kind). And in case chicken math hits (as it always does) you might end up with at least 20 very soon.

In any case it is best to always provide more space. Have a look at the wonderful and versatile chicken coops our members built and/or converted: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/large-coops.20/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom