experienced people - PLEASE HELP , something wrong with my 4 weeks old chick!

Natalijaasbj

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
hi!
Yesterday we had pretty good sunny weather for WA - it was 62 degrees, and I decided to take my oldest chicks(4 weeks old) to pasture. It was windy though.
They did not seem enjoy it and stood in the corner together. Espessialy my favourite black Maran - he was peeping sadly.
Today I looked at the brooder - he is not looking quite himself - he was the most vigourous chick before. And now he is standing under the lamp , not doing much, and his bright red comb turn pale pink.
What happened - could the yesterday outing overcooled him, and what should I do?
Please help!
Thank you for any input!

If you can, get some pedialite, add a little honey (1 tsp.) and tetracycline (1/2 tsp.) in it and replace their water with it. If he won't drink put a little on/in his beak with an eye dropper. He probably got chilled and is having trouble recovering, especially as cold as it's still getting at night. Although it was warm yesterday it was still cool enough for him to get chilled. I never let mine out, even if it's warm by my standards, until I'm sure they are feathered, about 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jano! i went to the farmacy, but thetracyclin is only by prescription. I have some anibiotic amixoccilin - left from my child's ear infection last week. Do you think I can use it?

I got him some pedolite with honey by eye dropper. How often to I have to hydrate his beek like that?

I take my chicks out when they reach 5 days old. Just for half a day or so. Put them back in the brooder at night before it cools down in the evening. At 2 weeks I usually move them outside permanently. I've never had a problem with them getting a chill, Although I've always had 15 to 20 peeps at a time. They help keep each other warm. I hope your little bugger didn't get into something that disagrees with him.

ButchGood!
Thank you for your reply.
I see you are in Texas - it is MUCH different spring than Northwest Seattle area. Yesterday the teperature was 62 degrees, and was windy. I only took them for 30 min . The other guys were JUST FINE. But this one - he was the livliest and strongest always - he was not himself after that. Would just stand right under the lampwith his feathers up and today I discovered his come(usually so red) got pale. I saw him biting food here and there just a little in the morning, but now he is just sitting there ander lamp and sleeping all the time.
I just think if it would be digestive problem( I did put som chunk of compost for them couple days ago to find some worms and bugs) - then why he would not sit all the time unde the lamp like he can not get enough of it?

It might be the stress of new place? I'm in WA too and took my 5wo buff orpingtons (two of them) outside for about and hour a week ago and now I am taking them and my 4wo sebrights and Easter eggers outside and able to leave then in yard all afternoon. They are pretty used to going places though and being let out inside the bathroom so didn't seem to bothered by it. First time out were not to keen to move around though, had to sit with them outside and even then they just wanted to sit in my lap. Now they all run around looking for bugs.

Maybe try some Karo syrup with a bit of water and give that via eye dropper into corners of beak? Might just need a little boost?

I forgot to mention , that I went today to the Feed store to ask for some help or medicine - and the saleswoman who raises chicks herself said he probably did get very chilled and the one thing I can do is giving him pediolites and put him under the lamp.
How strange is that? The other two chicks are just fine.

Thank you Island Chick!
I also wonder HOW it could be so detrimental to him - just 30 minutes on the sun and wind??? I feel so guilty - and this IS my favourite chick!!! May he was already sick that day before I even took them outside and I did not notice? Where can I get this syrup?

I got mine at the store in the cooking section. I guess the clear kind is better but I have the brown stuff. Pretty sure it's just corn syrup lol Karo is the brand though. When one of mine seemed a little down I gave that about every few hours. Maybe 1-2 cc or so? They love the stuff. If no syringe I mixed it in a water bottle cap and held it up to end of beak and they usually get the idea pretty quick once they taste it.

Back
Top Bottom