Experiences with hatchery Black Minorcas

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
Anybody have any experiences with having Black Minorca hens? Thinking about trying a couple to go with our order of Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons to maybe bolster the summer egg supply. Used to always get predominantly white Leghorns, but have went to brown egg layers as they seem a little calmer and wondering how Minorcas would do in a mixed flock?

How has your experience been with the Minorcas so far?
Our 2 Minorcas are at 4 months now. They don’t seem to be much different in disposition than the Australorps. They are a little bit lighter build and have bigger combs and white earlobes.
68E74B0C-A2D4-443A-9C66-6521E551D76E.jpeg
9E7D96B1-5BEF-4EC9-BC20-83358D7A3D82.jpeg

Did you decide to get Minorcas? I've had a few in my flock for the last couple of years. They're more friendly, and not quite as flighty as Leghorns, but they're very good layers. I've really enjoyed them. :)

How has your experience been with the Minorcas so far?
Got 3 Minorcas within a group of 21. Lost one of the the Minorcas on the 3rd day. It was weak from the start and just never did take off. All others were healthy. The other 2 are doing well. Also have some black Australorps, at first the Minorcas were easy to tell apart as they were a bit smaller, and their bodies more narrow as you would expect from a Mediterranean breed. As they have grown it’s a little more difficult to tell them apart, but Thein comparing them closely the Minorcas have longer tail feathers, and I can’t describe it but their heads are a little different too.

Understandable, I was going to get some buff Minorcas but I chicken out lol. Maybe next year.

Are they flighty? I hear they can be quite wild at times.
At this point I don’t notice them being anymore flighty than the Australorps, New Hampshires or Amber Stars. They may change as they get older. I do believe that they will be less flighty than the Leghorns that I have had in the past. The Leghorns seemed very flighty very early on.

Got 3 Minorcas within a group of 21. Lost one of the the Minorcas on the 3rd day. It was weak from the start and just never did take off. All others were healthy. The other 2 are doing well. Also have some black Australorps, at first the Minorcas were easy to tell apart as they were a bit smaller, and their bodies more narrow as you would expect from a Mediterranean breed. As they have grown it’s a little more difficult to tell them apart, but Thein comparing them closely the Minorcas have longer tail feathers, and I can’t describe it but their heads are a little different too.
Understandable, I was going to get some buff Minorcas but I chicken out lol. Maybe next year.

Are they flighty? I hear they can be quite wild at times.

Back
Top Bottom