Experiences with reflective tape for Hawk deterrent

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Would love to know about your experiences using hawk tape/reflective streamers for hawk deterrents? Good and bad, stories below please!!!

Our area is directly in the path of migratory hawks, very high traffic, in the spring and fall. looking to find some decent ways to possibly deter them a little bit. I don’t love the idea of hanging a bunch of streamers around, but I will do it if y’all say it works!

The only thing that is close to foolproof is a net or wire covering. Scare tactics don't usually work for very long. It might buy you some time though.

Yes, I have their main fenced run covered with netting. They currently Get to free range outside of that space, and this year I’m fencing a 2000sqft area for them to deter coyote sneak attack. Since hawks are primarily migratory at our property, I was hoping that scare tactics might just cause them to pass over in their migration

Yes, I have their main fenced run covered with netting. They currently Get to free range outside of that space, and this year I’m fencing a 2000sqft area for them to deter coyote sneak attack. Since hawks are primarily migratory at our property, I was hoping that scare tactics might just cause them to pass over in their migration
Not an expert. .... but I would guess that depend on how hungry they are at the given moment.

We had a crab apple tree in our backyard growing up. Tiny little things. Birds never ate them. Then one year, a flock of migrating birds swooped in and ate every last one. I'm guessing they were good tasting that birds had always left it alone. But, then the year this happened, the birds were hungry enough to take what they could get.

If they're migratory, I'd suspect than it would against the locals. But, that doesn't guarantee you much.

How many birds do you have and what is your tolerance for being wrong? We have 4 and the kids see them as pets. Our tolerance for losing any is low. Some people have 25 and expect that 1 or 2 will get picked off occasionally. At least with birds they typically take one at a time.

Not an expert. .... but I would guess that depend on how hungry they are at the given moment.

We had a crab apple tree in our backyard growing up. Tiny little things. Birds never ate them. Then one year, a flock of migrating birds swooped in and ate every last one. I'm guessing they were good tasting that birds had always left it alone. But, then the year this happened, the birds were hungry enough to take what they could get.

If they're migratory, I'd suspect than it would against the locals. But, that doesn't guarantee you much.

How many birds do you have and what is your tolerance for being wrong? We have 4 and the kids see them as pets. Our tolerance for losing any is low. Some people have 25 and expect that 1 or 2 will get picked off occasionally. At least with birds they typically take one at a time.
Oh yes, we have 20 currently, and will be upping that number to about 30 this summer. We lose one or two from time to time and although unfortunate, hawks are not as bad as coyotes. You can count on a single coyote to go on a rampage… one year they took out 6 in a single attack. At least a hawk only kills one.

I figure it might be worth a try. We have ravens in the area and they seem to deter the hawks as well. I know nothing is fool proof, just wondering about other peoples experiences!

hawks are smart, they learn what to look for .. generally chickens in the yard with no people around = an easy breakfast .. i wont hesitate and leave it at that .. but if its season and a hawk gets one or two, immediately change their routine to locking them in the coop at night and not letting them out till around noon or unless your around, for a couple of weeks at least till it moves on .. a hawk that will go for it with you around is usually young and dumb, again, i wont hesitate with a pos like that ..

hawks are smart, they learn what to look for .. generally chickens in the yard with no people around = an easy breakfast .. i wont hesitate and leave it at that .. but if its season and a hawk gets one or two, immediately change their routine to locking them in the coop at night and not letting them out till around noon or unless your around, for a couple of weeks at least till it moves on .. a hawk that will go for it with you around is usually young and dumb, again, i wont hesitate with a pos like that ..

Oh yes, that’s how we usually do it. As much as it’s obviously not desirable to lose a chicken to predation, we are resigned to the fact that we may lose 1-2 per year. We are in a forested area with a lot of underbrush, so our chickens aren’t as easy Pickens as those on fields

I’m just looking for other peoples experiences with reflective tape. If there’s a chance it might help a little, I’ll put it up. If not, it’s not worth the effort.

Oh yes, that’s how we usually do it. As much as it’s obviously not desirable to lose a chicken to predation, we are resigned to the fact that we may lose 1-2 per year. We are in a forested area with a lot of underbrush, so our chickens aren’t as easy Pickens as those on fields

I’m just looking for other peoples experiences with reflective tape. If there’s a chance it might help a little, I’ll put it up. If not, it’s not worth the effort.
I use reflective holographic curling ribbon that I get at Christmas, some silver reflective hearts from Amazon and also the reflective tape. I just lost a silkie last week and I’m still sick about it. I had taken down the fishing line I strung around the yard, mission impossible style, because it was getting dry and I was going to replace it. I hang the ribbons and tape from it and the reflective hearts in the trees. I also got holographic pinwheels and windchimes that I placed around the yard that now looks like a circus. I don’t care- just want them safe. Scarecrow is going up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom