Experiment Trying To Hatch More Hens

Pics
Wouldn’t a genetic male that develops into a female be infertile though? That’s how it usually works with people anyway. They may have some or all of the reproductive organs, but can’t actually produce offspring. So even if you chill the male eggs into developing as females, if they can’t lay eggs, then they’re useless... unless you need them for meat, but at that point you might as well skip the added expenses and let them develop as males.
I still dont believe that males can be converted into females just by chilling the eggs.
In people, there is a rare genetic defect on a gene called "tfm" on Y chromosome that turns males physically into females.

It's usually discovered in humans through tracking down infertility issues, so at very least it's associated with them in humans.

Chickens have different sex-determining chromosomes, so there's no reason it should work the exact same for them, or even via the same mechanism, I just included the possibility in humans as a bit of trivia more than anything.

The article says that hens produced this way are fertile, but only lay male eggs. That's all the info I have.

Wouldn’t a genetic male that develops into a female be infertile though? That’s how it usually works with people anyway. They may have some or all of the reproductive organs, but can’t actually produce offspring. So even if you chill the male eggs into developing as females, if they can’t lay eggs, then they’re useless... unless you need them for meat, but at that point you might as well skip the added expenses and let them develop as males.
Perhaps but the idea that a genetic male develop into a female isn't a thing.
That doesn't happen based on temperature. Only a genetic aberration could do that, and the possibility of that would be infinitesimal.
Storage and/or incubation temperature does not alter sex ratio.

Last edited:
Perhaps but the idea that a genetic male develop into a female isn't a thing.
That doesn't happen based on temperature. Only a genetic aberration could do that, and the possibility of that would be infinitesimal.
Incubation temperature does not alter sex ratio.
Thats what i am saying

Back
Top Bottom