Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

Pics
The CornishX eat too much. To keep it alive longer, you must limit their feed or on low protein diet. I am sure the CornishX will make a lot of noise and follow you everywhere for food.

I envisioned meaties being something like Prader-Willi sydrome. A member of my close famy has something similar although that has not been diagnosed and it probably isn't exactly that. He has been diagnosed with something similar. He has enough will power to not eat all the time but he is never, ever not hungry. Like really, literally- not just the way that phrase is used for teen agers. It is not pleasant at all.

Maybe there is some other explanation for why meaties eat so much. What might that be?

I agree egg binding and prolapse wouldn't be comfortable either. But as I understand it, those aren't the only two options. There is also keeping other breeds for pets instead of trying to feel better about raising meaties for meat by picking a couple out to be the pets.
It's kind of like taking a dog of a breed bred for smushed noses and experimenting with getting it to survive running a long time in hot weather. Because you feel bad that most of that breed aren't alliwed to do that.

Or taking a cat of that breed that has no hair and experimenting with getting it to survive as an outdoor cat in A Vermont winter. Ecause you feel bad that most of that breed aren't allowed much time outdoors in Vermont in the winter.

Or getting a Jersey cow that has been bred for upteen generations for high and persistent milk production and then not milking her because you think she should raise her own calf.

Part of being a responsible animal keeper is picking a breed whose needs are compatible with what you are ready, willing, and able to provide.

It's kind of like taking a dog of a breed bred for smushed noses and experimenting with getting it to survive running a long time in hot weather. Because you feel bad that most of that breed aren't alliwed to do that.

Or taking a cat of that breed that has no hair and experimenting with getting it to survive as an outdoor cat in A Vermont winter. Ecause you feel bad that most of that breed aren't allowed much time outdoors in Vermont in the winter.

Or getting a Jersey cow that has been bred for upteen generations for high and persistent milk production and then not milking her because you think she should raise her own calf.

Part of being a responsible animal keeper is picking a breed whose needs are compatible with what you are ready, willing, and able to provide.
I see your point, and I do agree those examples would be cruel to the animal. I know there is no point in denying cornish cross purpose is for meat. But that doesn't mean it would be cruel to ration a CXs food. Most people who raise cornish for their intended purpose as meat, including me, still ration their food to keep them alive and healthy until processing. Am I a cruel CX raiser because I don't let them gorge themselves 24/7?

@Weeg's cornish are still getting the feeling of a full crop every day, like my meat cornish and many others meat cornish. The difference is the type of food and the amount of food, but that feeling of a full crop will still be there. It's not abuse like forcing a smushed face dog to run around on a hot day or forcing a hairless cat to endure cold weather. Cornish cross may not be meant for pets, but that doesn't mean they are being treated any worse than a cornish raised for meat.

@FuzzyCritters stated this perfectly. I also want to put in that I'm not opposed to keeping a Cornish for meat, I just wanted to try at giving the animal a better life. Also, I am ready, willing, able, and eager to provide the needs that these guys have. I am very able to limit feed, I'm able to let them take care of the abundance of carpenter ants right now, I'm able to let them free range while the ducks are locked up on our 8 acres of property. I'm able and willing to do all of these things. Trust me, Doodle and Smudge are happy. They don't just sit around and do nothing, I watched Smudge cause carpenter ants around today, and Doodle dust bath in the sun so much, that when I pet her my hand came out covered in dirt.
They're happy chickens, and just because they aren't bred for this purpose, doesn't mean its cruel to give them the opportunity to live. Again, @FuzzyCritters explains it very well. I'm sorry you don't agree with me @saysfaa, but I'll assure you that Doodle and Smudge aren't smushed faced dogs being forced to run in hot weather. I do appreciate your input though, its good to hear all the opinions. :)

I'm pretty sure Smudge is loosing weight! :wee
She feel much lighter when I pick her up, and today I want to weight her so I can track her weight loss.
I've been giving 1/2 cup every evening, (1/4 cup for the both of them) and wetting it down. I've also been sprinkling about a teaspoon of Glucosamine over their food since we have a ton leftover from our dogs we never ended up using when we switched the product.
Every morning I let them out from about 9am to 1, then either take the ducks food away for a bit and let them all our together, or put them in the let the ducks out. It works pretty good, and after the initial Easter egg hunt for easy food, Doodle and Smudge go forage. They're usually come back to the coop with semi full crops which is great because I know they're foraging. They're the best!

I also introduced 3 of the oldest bantams to Doodle and Smudge. I've got a Bantam Silkie, (Cotton, possible rooster) Grey Japanese bantam, (Nugget, hen) and a Red Laced White Cornish bantam, (Lacey, likely hen).
They do pretty good together most of the time, but man, if those little guys get in the big birds way, they're so mean! I'm starting to rethink keeping them with the bantams, especially because the Serama's I have in the bator are gonna be much to small to defend themselves. I was hoping since they were big clumsy meat birds they'd be nice, but I definitely proved myself wrong lol!
I could put them in with my other chickens, but they're all older and Sam our rooster is a large breed, (Orp + RIR), and it will be harder for them to get up high to eat. Plus I don't know were I would put it in their run. Suggestions are welcome. :confused:
Ps. I'm planning on revamping the run this Summer, so if you think I could add anything to make the food separation work I can do that as well.

Back
Top Bottom