Expert Help Needed: Modifying New Coop? (PICS)

winniegirl

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
We bought this coop from someone looking to rehome their two girls. Looks cute, but not as practical as I'd like. DH is trying to modify it: he added a roost, none there before
roll.png
After only 3 days, I finally caught them on it last night, hooray!!
smile.png

Hopefully, our run will be done tomorrow, weather permitting. Hardware cloth is down, just need chicken wire and latches. Maybe I'll get those pix up tomorrow night!

Anyway, let me know what you all think of these "fixes" and any other changes we could make to it. It measures 6' by almost 3 feet. We're just trying to make it more livable for them. Just seeing them on the roost last night made me so happy
smile.png
I thank you, my kids thank you and those sweet chickens REALLY thank you for your help!!

Large doors for main access/cleaning. Keep these as is.

15822_img_1609_1.jpg

Cut out that wall to create one larger space. Or, would that be too much space to keep two birds warm in winter? Should we wait til spring?

15822_img_1822_1.jpg

]

Last edited:
It took me awhile to get oriented in each picture but I think this is a great little coop!

It's got lots of doors. And, I'm not sure if there aren't more doors that I'm not seeing! As long as it is structurally sound and there isn't too much in the way of drafts, all the doors could be of good use.

Of course, drafts are a moot question with a room in the front, wire-enclosed. Are you in a cold Winter area? If the weather doesn't get too cold, perhaps you could just screw on plywood for the coldest months and take it off when it is warm.

I think I'd leave the interior wall. It will definitely make for more coziness. With only 2 birds, they'd appreciate it.

Cute chickens, cute kids . . . cute coop

Steve

Cute kids for sure, thanks Steve!!
smile.png

Yes, lots of doors on that coop. I was out last nite with the duct tape sealing for drafts since we had a freeze warning.

We're in PA, so we plan to permanently seal off that "porch" unless we come up with a reason not to--and keep the interior wall? I want 2 chicks in the spring, so maybe cut down that wall after that.

Thanks again for the advice! Let me know if you see anything else since we're just figuring this out as we go along.

Dawn

Hey, that's a really neat little coop, I like it!
smile.png

You might consider adding (or converting one or more of the jillion doors into) a ventilation port with an *adjustible* cover, e.g. sliding, so that you can control exactly how much airflow. Preferably not at floor level and not right next to the roost. You will need the ventilation all winter.

If you are ultimately planning on putting more chickens in there, it'd be worth removing the wall and closing in the 'porch' -- OTOH if you are going to stick with 2 or 3 chickens, then personally I'd leave it the way it is, and just cover the mesh sides of the 'porch' with transparent or translucent plastic stuff for wintertime. You could use heavy duty plastic sheeting, or if you want to get fancier you could make panels out of plexiglas or corrugated clear-plastic roofing material. You'd want to leave some area uncovered, or make an adjustable 'window' in your covering, b/c in warm weather on sunny days you do not want it getting TOO hot in there. But leaving it as a semi-protected porch will let your chickens get a bit of fresh air and light on days when it is not nice enough to free-range.

Have you thought about building a run. I realize you are (apparently) free ranging them, which is fine, but it can be Awful Handy to have a run *available*, for times when it is not so safe to let them loose. On a related subject, remember that predators are hungrier in the winter and more apt to hunt during daylight...

Have fun, and again, cute coop!
smile.png

Pat

I think it is perfect little coop for 2 or 3 chickens so I really don't think you need to add nything else for this coop and it is great that you but the roost for them, I believe after yo build the run you are in chicke business.
welcome-byc.gif

Good luck.
You havea beautiful Family, God Bless.
Omran.

It's an adorable little coop. Perfect for 2 or 3 chickens. Looks like the kids are enjoying the birds too. Now I'm sure you will become addicted and want more in the future!!! Is the milk crate the nest box?
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif

Thanks to all!
smile.png
smile.png

PAT: thanks for your insight!! Ohh, we can't freerange them here, because Mr. Hawk and Friendly Neighbor Dogs are always about. Today was day 4 building the run, almost there. I'll try to post a pix!! Like the idea of heavy plastic on the coop "porch" I'd like 2 more birds in the spring, Buff Orps for eggs. But I think this would just be too small with 4, it's only 6 x 3.

OMRAN: My DH is now reading this forum so remember no more comments like this
smile.png

I believe after yo build the run you are in chicke business

I'm trying to keep it a secret, ha!

CMOM: Yes, the milk crate is the nest box, and I'm even losing sleep worrying about someone getting their foot stuck in the large holes, sheesh.

Dawn​

winniegirl, You could build some nest boxes outside. Here are some pics of mine. Just an idea.
smile.png

Here is a picture of the original two nest boxes from the inside of the coop.
DSC00034.jpg

Here is an outside picture.
DSC00039.jpg

Back
Top Bottom