Expert Problem Re: Sexing and Feed

Pics
My advice - which you probably are not going to take, is do not add more birds. You have too many birds for the space you have, and crowded birds get ugly behaviors, cause a lot of unrest. Always solve for peace in the flock, they are healthier, and give more eggs.

Mrs K
I may certainly heed your advice; after all, it would be foolish of me to come to this forum for assistance, then not to listen to the advice of those more experienced than I.

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm going to go with a separate food station and water for the time being. I also have a little wood ladder for climbing. I think I'll lay that horizontally between the nesting box where they hide and the side of the coop -- an obstacle to provide a little security and make it harder for the others to molest them.

My space for the U.S. might be paltry but for the Dominican Republic, they are living in a Beverly Hills mansion, so it's relative. My space is what it is . . . When 10 are lying in the short shady end in the heat of the day after eating, they are occupying 1/4 of the space.

Oh, and yes, you are exactly right. My pullets and cockerels are around 3.5 months and I estimate the new pullets around 3 months.

My six "extra" cockerels that I pulled are tethered in various locations. I guess I like living dangerously because I'm thinking about adding two guinea fowl, which I can buy walking distance from my house. They are in an outdoor meat market with many types of fowl that you select and pay to have killed and butchered on the spot, and bring home for lunch. The guinea hens there are mixed with the same breed of chickens I have, in cages, and they all seem to be fine. I've done some reading about others' experience keeping both. There are some risks in terms of aggression but not always.

I've always loved guinea fowl and I've eaten them. The meat is black. They have been in Haiti for hundreds of years . . . They are called pintad.
I am getting this sorted out. First, I provided separate food and water. Shortly thereafter, this failed as the higher ranking birds commandeered that food and water and drove the new pullets to another nesting box, thus controlling all the food and water.

Second, I then realized that there was nothing more that I could do, that I cannot control everything, so I decided to let it go, "let chickens be chickens," and let them sort it out. The two pullets are now eating and drinking with the others once in a while, so I think they are slowing integrating into the flock.

Among humans, a newborn often creates problems for siblings: competition for resources.

I am now augmenting high protein grains with whole corn: the flock is about 3 months old. I broadcast this on the soil to stimulate them rather than put it in the feeder. Is this what is known as "scratch"? And, if so, I suppose that that is because they scratch for it, so scratch is both a noun and a verb. Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom