Explain Fishing line placement!!

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
How far apart should the fishing line be? Is it in straight lines or criss crossed? Will wire work better?
I have suddenly had a lot of hawks around my suburban neighborhood. They were small but I have some tiny d'uccles. Today I looked out and saw a 2 foot hawk sitting on my fence! I was sure it was after my chickens. But when we went out found a tiny wounded young squirrel laying on the ground and another cowering in a tree crack. Even though, I locked up my chickens in the covered run and coop.

I don't have an answer for you but I am curious about this too
pop.gif

I have plce the line criss-crossed about three feet apart. For better results hang a CD at each knot. I had to ask all the kids that I know for their old CD's. But my hawk problem stopped.

I read somewhere that the grid lines should be about 3' apart also. I put up just 8 CDs. The light show they put on in the sun is impressive...fast moving reflections all around. No other hawk visits since and they live only 700' from the coop.

I am contemplating trying this method but I haven't found any photos of the finished product. Our chicken yard is in our side yard, visible from the street so it has to be nice.

I never use fishing line, just that neon colored nylon mason's line, which is super strong and easier to work with. I have it across only one smaller pen now, but I hang shiny CD's from it and they twirl and flash and throw reflections all over, making it hard for a hawk to dive.

Back
Top Bottom