1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Explain Fishing line placement!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by amartinlb, Sep 27, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    How far apart should the fishing line be? Is it in straight lines or criss crossed? Will wire work better?
    I have suddenly had a lot of hawks around my suburban neighborhood. They were small but I have some tiny d'uccles. Today I looked out and saw a 2 foot hawk sitting on my fence! I was sure it was after my chickens. But when we went out found a tiny wounded young squirrel laying on the ground and another cowering in a tree crack. Even though, I locked up my chickens in the covered run and coop.

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I don't have an answer for you but I am curious about this too [​IMG]

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have plce the line criss-crossed about three feet apart. For better results hang a CD at each knot. I had to ask all the kids that I know for their old CD's. But my hawk problem stopped.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I read somewhere that the grid lines should be about 3' apart also. I put up just 8 CDs. The light show they put on in the sun is impressive...fast moving reflections all around. No other hawk visits since and they live only 700' from the coop.

5. heavypetting

heavypetting Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I am contemplating trying this method but I haven't found any photos of the finished product. Our chicken yard is in our side yard, visible from the street so it has to be nice.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never use fishing line, just that neon colored nylon mason's line, which is super strong and easier to work with. I have it across only one smaller pen now, but I hang shiny CD's from it and they twirl and flash and throw reflections all over, making it hard for a hawk to dive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by