Explain the process of getting hips certified to me please

OFA uses 3 different vets to rate all their hips x-rays to make as accurate a report as possible. A clear x-ray with the correct position is critical! I breed German Shorthaired Pointers (yes, I know, BIRD DOGS!) all 4 of my breeding dogs have hips done and none of them needed to be completely put under anesthetic. Only 1 needed sedation of any kind. The hips need to be rotated then extended, kinda hard to explain. The dog needs to be at least 2 years old to the day for a certification BUT you can have them evaluate a younger dogs hips. You just won't get them certified.

Make sure that you print out the procedure requirements from OFA as well as the form and take to the vet with you. The film needs to be permanently identified with the clinics name, your dog's microchip number, the date, a marker showing either the left or right side of the film and the date the film was taken.

The price the vet charges you is all for them really as you will still have to send in your OFA fee. I have my vet take the xrays, then I mail them out (with a piece of cardboard so the xray doesn't get bent) with the appropriate form and fee. It costs me at least $200 less if I do it then have my vet do it. Rediculous really.

Oh and I know you have a male but in the case of a female you want to wait at least a month after she has had a heat because the hormones can cause the hip joints to become lax and can cause inaccurate results.

Last edited:
Well, again, we are going to get it done for our own peace of mind as well as to go along with the guarantee from the boys breeder.

gritsar, those are both great reasons to do it. Another great reason is it is good for your breed. It is more statistical data for this breed, and more information for breeders doing research to plan breedings.

I would encourage you to submit the films on your dog no matter if they look as tho they will pass or not, and to check the box that allows for the disclosure of all results, passing or failing.

Good luck on getting your boy done and getting normal results.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, the guarantee from the breeder is that the boys hips will rate at "good or better" so I don't anticipate any problems.
I will check the box that allows for disclosure. Thanks for mentioning it.
smile.png

Quote:
Well, the guarantee from the breeder is that the boys hips will rate at "good or better" so I don't anticipate any problems.
I will check the box that allows for disclosure. Thanks for mentioning it.
smile.png

The breeder is very confident of good hips if he guaratees that! That's great!

Back
Top Bottom