Explaining Chicken Math

Definitely a keeper! Or else you would have to go back down to 6 chicks
wink.png

I know, right??
lau.gif

4 hatchlings so far!! 8 remaining all have pips, I think- I'm trying not to hassle the broody too much. lol

Last edited:
I'm gonna try this again- it's getting worse...

So, a year and a half ago I started a flock. My city ordinance allows 6 hens, so I had a date on which I was going to pick up 6 chicks, but I wanted to talk to the feed store lady who knows all the things so that I could be prepared (we have an AWESOME local store here). SO, I went to the store about 2 weeks before the chicks I wanted were to be stocked (you all know where this is going).

Came home with a lot of knowledge, feed, lamps, feeders and three straight run bantams. Oops.

Went to the feed store on the appropriate date and came home with 6 chicks plus 1 extra EE = 7 +3 or 10 birds at this point (cheek poofs decrease willpower, you know...)

Later on discovered that one of the bantys was a rooster... but a super duper awesome sweet one- traded for two banty "pullets" a friend's kids had brought home from a 4-H project. Found out in a couple weeks that OOPS, I actually traded one rooster for two roosters... so 11 birds.

She took the two roosters back, partially because it was so funny... and found out another one of the bantys was a rooster! The fourth rooster was a very handsome and sweet banty too, so he went to the feed store's owner, who found him endearing... and thankfully chick season was over by this visit. = 8 birds (already breaking ordinance, mind you... but no one here cares as long as the ever elusive fairy keeps leaving presents once a month or so).

In fall I fell victim to baby chicks again and brought home 4 Australorps (and one black sex link by accident, but we love our little accident) = 5+8 = 13 birds.

I gave two away as 14 week old pullets to a neighbor as a baby shower present, and my single banty (a silky) fell ill and had to be put down :(. = 10 birds.

This was way too many for the city, but I had to fill the hole in my heart that resulted from losing the silky so you know, I did what any single gal would do... I started dating a guy who lived outside city limits! Of course he had never had a chicken of any sort, but he fell in love immediately, because my girls are super chicken ambassadors...

He also wanted 6 chickens, so we got him 10, and built a ridiculously over sized & tiger-proof coop, because he loves them so. So, 20 birds now...

THEN, he visited his friend down South and brought back 12 hatching eggs for my broody! They hatch this weekend and they are all still alive, so far! So... 30 birds! Of course that inspired me to order 6 hatching eggs for my other broody cause she's been broody twice now, and that's only fair, right?... so 36 birds, if all goes well. He's not an enabler, he's a keeper... right? :D

Yes, he is a KEEPER!

Someone posted on CL some chicks..now I these!

My husband said something about the "24 chickens I have." Well, I only have 18 now - so I assume I can get more LOL!

Well,.I'm waiting on some splash cochins to go with these blues and I might get some buffs. She also has some wyondonettes she might sell me. And those two polish may not be enough....

Okay so here I sit enthralled on this website, I have seven eggs in my incubator and one went and pipped this afternoon....so now I am on here looking at the BST auctions and thinking of ordering more eggs. I have a problem. I am so anxious about this hatch and I have a broody in the coop itself...I keep thinking I can get more eggs and give her some. My incubator only holds seven but I can order like 15 and just put them under the broody right???? I want to know when I lost my mind, was it before I got chickens, or was it after they arrived and I fell in love with them.

I don't even know how it happened, but I now have 20 chickens, five different breeds. I really just don't know how it happened. I've posted on this thread before and from then until now I have tripled my chicken head count. And I haven't even hatched any!

oh Mama...I feel your pain...it just happens....

I have two babies that came out of the incubator...

and my husband fell asleep just now and I am thinking of ordering more eggs....I can always blame it on the fever right?
smile.png

[quote and my husband fell asleep just now and I am thinking of ordering more eggs....I can always blame it on the fever right?
smile.png
[/quote] I don't even have an incubator or broody hen yet... Imagine how much worse it's going to get... My husband left for a weekend trip and I bought 8 more. But I needed white crested black polish AND blue wheaten marans.... I did. Really..... :/

Back
Top Bottom