Chirping
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
Central Florida
Good morning
smile.png
All 4 chicks are doing good today and love using mama as a playground
roll.png
I say 4 chicks because one of the eggs that she laid 5 days AFTER sitting on the others hatched
idunno.gif
She actually laid (2)eggs 5 days after sitting on eggs that had life to them. The older eggs (embryos) were 5 days old. So I marked the eggs, and knew it would be 5 days after the original had been laid, the new ones would hatch. Well last night around 11pm, I had a zip, and out came baby chick!
ep.gif
It was just as big, healthy and looked like the rest. So, how on earth is that possible??? The other "new" egg is def. not ready to hatch. Baby is alive, but it's not full of chick yet, and the air cell is still growing. Weird or can this be explained?? I'm glad I didn't toss the new eggs after she laid them, I was going to eat them that day.

Remember she's been in a hamper, inside. No other hens have been around her to lay eggs in her nest. I know I counted correctly because when I brought her inside, she had 8 eggs total. She laid the 2 new eggs AFTER the other eggs had visible embryos. All eggs were marked. 10 eggs total. In the end, I tossed 5 eggs (yolkers, duds) and she incubated the 5 she has now.

Thanks!

Edit...well the last egg has a pip!

Last edited:
Wow! Thats so cool! I dont have a explanation I guess it just heard its siblings outside having a good time and wanted to have some of the fun! That does seem weird though.
hu.gif

I want to see some pictures of all the babies!!
pop.gif

I thought once a hen sits on the eggs she doesn't lay any more. Could it be that she didn't really start hatching them until she laid all the eggs? how long ago did she lay the last two eggs?

Quote:
Good morning Scarlett! I know it is strange! My camera is dead..the battery is SO dead the cam wont work while plugged into the wall
he.gif
I'm going to try my hardest to get pics today, They're all moving around, and using mama as a playground..
D.gif
How are your eggs? Any change in the last few??

Quote:
Well the eggs she had before laying the new ones were already showing growth. She was sitting on those eggs non stop and then all of a sudden she pops out 2 new eggs!
idunno.gif
I was going to eat those, but decided to see if they would hatch. Surprise..one hatched last night, and the other has a pip today.

The eggs were 6 days apart. I even had it set up with a breeder to take the 2 eggs, in fear she would leave the nest, and not sit the extra 5-6 days.

Back
Top Bottom