Exploded Egg when boiling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rwgrout, Feb 2, 2016.

1. rwgrout

rwgrout Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    OK - so this isn't really the right spot for this but I'm hoping someone can answer my question. For the first time ever I had an egg EXPLODE while boiling. Not just crack and it oozed out a little but the whole end BLEW OFF!! The method I used is room temperature eggs into tepid water and slowly bring to a boil. I "floated" all of them before starting. I'm certainly not a newbie at boiling eggs but this is the first time I've ever had that happen. I hate to throw it away due to ignorance but I just don't know if it's safe to eat? Or should I just toss it? Better safe than sorry. It's not like the won't be more tomorrow!!!![​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It should be just fine. I'm guessing it was a very fresh egg. The air cell was small enough that when the contents started expanding, they had no where to go. I put about a tablespoon of salt in my water. It helps by drawing some moisture out of the egg.

3. DeepDishChix

DeepDishChix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    Feed it to the chickens if you have any. This has happened before, and its because too much pressure builds up in the egg, causing it to explode. There might have been some substance like oil or wax in the water that was clogging the pores. Hope this helps!

4. rwgrout

rwgrout Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by