exploding egg... a v ery serious matter!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roosterfry, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Songster

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    So... I was handling the eggs for the final time in preparation to load the hatcher. Apparently I missed an egg that was bad last time i candled... I found an egg that had a dark line in it along where the air cell line usually is, I tried to pick it up out of the tray, but it was stuck. I applied a lil pressure to try to get it out... No luck... POP! It exploded and sounded like a fire cracker! Sent shrapnel and black gooey mess everywhere! it was horrible. Stunk up a whole section of the house! [​IMG] I'm going to be much more careful when egg candling next go round!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Songster

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    ewwww....[​IMG]

3. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Chicken Tender

Feb 1, 2010
    Southern Virginia
    Been there, done that! Thank goodness it was in the garage and not the house! [​IMG]

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] I bet it was bad!!

5. binders

binders Songster

Sep 4, 2011
    Doesn't sounds like fun! Sorry that happened to you.[​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Rotten exploding eggs are the worst a chicken person can endure, the stench is worst than a roomful of permanant house chickens. I hope you can rid the house of the stench soon.

7. [​IMG] That is the most horrible smell I have ever come across. I have a strong stomach and have smelled some pretty horrible smells but this one takes the cheese (huge pun intended) It's so horrible!!

8. Chick1043

Chick1043 Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:LOL! I have never smelled a bad egg until I hatched some eggs for the first time!! Omg!! Worst smell I have ever smelled!! [​IMG] lol

9. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Songster

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Ya'll it was so bad! It splattered on some of my good eggs too, as well as on my glasses... It was all I could do not to throw up, and I have a VERY strong stomach usually... , I just wiped the eggs off and placed them in the hatcher, hopefully they'll hatch

10. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Songster

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I had one explode under my broody hen today! [​IMG] I wasn't sure if I should do it or not, but I took all the eggs out and soaked them in lukewarm water to get the gunk off while I cleaned out the nest. I know one of the eggs is getting ready to hatch 'cuz it was moving around in the water and when I took it out to clean and dry it, it cheeped at me! I marked it before I put it back under my hen so I could keep an eye on it.

I've never candled (guess I ought to learn that if I'm going to hatch eggs, huh? LOL) Despite my ignorance, we've hatched 5 eggs successfully since the 20th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: