Exposed Skin Behind Ears on 9-Week Old ISA Brown/Gold Star

I can't really tell exactly where you are seeing it from the picture, but there is a good chance it is a strange normal thing (which happens a lot with chickens from my experience). Is it behind the tuft of feathers on her cheek?

Do you know how old she is? This could just be her getting her second feathers and they are coming in funny. If the skin isn't red or irritated looking, that is another good sign that it is just a random thing.

I would just watch it closely. Most of the skin on their head is red, so maybe that isn't going to help us here :p. Post some more pictures if you see any changes, but my guess is that her feathers just came in a little funny and it will fix itself after enough time. Maybe it is an ISA Brown thing, too.

It totally can be overwhelming. I've had them for years and I am still learning. Just try to take it one thing at a time, and if you can read the article that comes out in the BYC Saturday newsletter. Those things have been invaluable to me, and once a week helps you to digest it.

Back
Top Bottom