Extended lighting and molting

mreynol

Hatching
Mar 23, 2018
I have used extended lighting over the winter but now some of the hens are looking a little bedraggled. I have checked for lice and mites and find none. I am guessing that they may be trying to molt.

Does extra daylight prevent molting? Will they now molt normally? Do I need to shut of extra light to stimulate molting?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Extra lighting can cause out of season molting. It's one of the many reasons I don't use extra light. They will eventually straighten out again, but I have no experience with it so I don't know how long it will take.

Supplemental lighting can stop the birds from molting in the fall/winter...
....or not, I've seen both. The effects of lighting can be widely varied.

How old are your birds?
What is your general geographic location?
Please add it to your profile, it's easy and then it's always there!
Climate can play in important part in chickeneering.
upload_2018-3-24_7-1-29.png

I have used light for 25 years & my birds have always molted on time (16-18 months or so). I even had first year birds molt this fall, which was totally weird., but it has been a weird winter. Just my observations.

I have used light for 25 years & my birds have always molted on time (16-18 months or so). I even had first year birds molt this fall, which was totally weird., but it has been a weird winter. Just my observations.
I always think of you when thinking about lighting.
There are many different ways that folks apply lighting, yours is probably the most consistent and thus the most consistent affects.

molting is regular; from time to time every chicken molts. if their is a lack of CLEAN water for them, that could very well be the cause. not having water for 24 hours for your hens can lead to molting and decrease in egg laying. ;)

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom