Exterminating coyotes?-scary story

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheirogloss, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    Last night around midnight I woke up to the sounds of excited coyote communication. We often hear the yips, barks and snarls of coyote packs successfully ripping apart some poor little animal up and down the valley where we live, but never up on our hill that overlooks the valley. They packs normally center around a goat farm in the valley bottom about a half mile from us. Well, last night I had a pack of yipping coyotes about 50 feet from my front porch in the pasture. So I get up, grab my gun, and run into the darkness in my bare feet and underwear. I fired two shots in the air to scare them. I couldn't take a confident shot at any particular animal without risking shooting blindly towards our neighbor's house, plus my gun jammed because it was still filled with cheapo firing range ammo (thank you Wal-mart). There were between 9 and 12 coyotes and they ran when I shot. At the moment it doesn't appear that they killed any of our cats, which was my fear and why I ran out there like freaking Wyatt Earp. Our male outdoor cat was accounted for last night and I locked him in the basement under heavy protest. However, our female outdoor cat is still unaccounted for. I am now completely freaked out that they have made it across the highway and up our hill. We have cats, a small feist dog, and a one year old daughter who I am sure is just about coyote snack size. Plus, DH is out of town and that leaves me to hold down the fort solo.

So, my question for you all is: How do I successfully exterminate the coyotes in a way that 1) is not immediately lethal so I can save non-target species, or 2) in a way that is immediately lethal to coyotes but not immediately lethal to cats or domestic dogs? Poison is out. We could shoot them, but I don't know what kind of special tactical ops equipment we would need to be successful at blowing them away at night. Does live trapping a coyote work? In the coastal plain of NC they bait shark hooks with big pieces of meat and hang them at a height that causes the coyotes to jump up for the meat and get hooked. That is a little too Dr. Mengele for my taste. Any ideas?

On a related topic, before Christmas we found a dead but completely intact young female (1 yearish) coyote about 300 yards behind our house in the woods. She was laying on a game trail like she decided to take a nap and never woke up. We are guessing someone poisoned her because nothing, other than rodents stealing fur, has even touched the body to scavange it. She seemed to be in very good health. Her teeth were white and clean, there are no marks on the body, and she didn't look like she had had puppies yet in her life. So there is someone near by already working on coyote population reduction.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Trap then shoot?

3. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I can't help you with the coyote problem ~ but please be careful about shooting into air. Depending on the weight of the bullet, wind, humidity, etc. it could be dangerous.

4. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    A red spotlight and a gun are probably your best bet. Good Luck.

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I would get a couple of LGD's, that is probably your best bet. They will keep the coyotes away from your property and protect your animals. If you kill off the coyotes that are there now, more will replace them and it will become a constant battle. If you have LGD, the current pack will learn to hunt elsewhere and leave your property alone.

6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to sure how much property you have... But around here, people hunt the coyettes with hound dogs, then shoot them... For sport.. maybe you could find a few guys who like to "run their dogs"? Please keep an eye eatra eye on your daughter, even durning the day... One attacked a 14 year old boy in the apple orchard near here, durning the day! (Not to sure if it was prevoked or not?)
    Good luck, yes they will repopulate, and it will be an ongoing battle, but you got to start somewhere!

7. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    If you don't want to shoot them yourself look into finding local hunters to help. North Carolina is famous for Fox pens so there should be plenty of guys with hunting hounds around depending on where your at. Try and track them down and see if you can get some guys to come and take care of them for you.

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My dad and I use to hunt coyotes. We found a rabbit squeal call them in like flies to a rotting carcus. We hunted from a deer stand, used the rabbit squeal, waiting and unloaded. We use to raise cattle we had around 100 head as well as chickens, ducks and geese. The coyotes would have wiped out every calf that was born on the place if we didn't bring mom and calf to one of our barns.

9. SilkieBaby

SilkieBaby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Bakersville, NC
    Some of the guys here hang the hooks and have had good success with that. I have personally not tried that yet. My DH got me a spotlight with a red lens on it for Christmas and also a coyote call. I have not been able to get out and try it yet (been too cold)! I've tried the live trap and so far I have not had any luck catching coyotes......although I have caught several possums a huge racoon and then my poor little tom cat. (Thank goodness it was a "live" trap). Since the weather has been cold the coyotes have not been coming in as close to the house. We have had them come within 50 feet or so from the house and had one come out on my 7 yr old that was playing in the yard last summer. They scare the crap out of me coming so close to the house.....but I am determined to get rid of them.
    Good Luck and be careful!!

Amy

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I second the idea of the LGDs, if you dont have them already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by