Exterminating coyotes?-scary story

Our 2 Pit Bull dogs keep the coyotes scared off around here. I'd say some good big dogs would keep them at bay and you wouldn't have it to worry about too much. We heard them all the time in the woods behind our house, but since getting the dogs, have yet to see one. I know they're there and growing in number because the deer and rabbit population is down even though there hasn't been much hunting in the vicinity in the last 3 years other than myself. Neighbors on both sides have dogs too that keeps them drove back into the woods where they belong. SO I vote dogs.

Keep a good eye on that baby of yours. I would get 2 Great Pry. to ward off the coyotes. If you don't mind barking at night they'll keep the coyotes away from your animals and keep them off your property.

Let me tell you something that happened to me on Monday night................................

Just the other night I was petting Blackie and Koda in front of our car when I saw something out by the Rose bush. I knew it wasn't Blackie 'cause I was petting her at the time and it was too big to be a fox. Plus it was sneaking in like a coyote. I sharply drew in my breath in fright and Koda whirled around and with a snarl sounding like a roar took off after that critter while Blackie stepped in front of me like she was protecting me. I heard Koda barking her head off in the field and then I heard sharp yelps in fright from by the chicken coop.

So now I've got Coyotes coming within 20 feet of the house now and Koda's been barking like crazy all night from the front yard and by the chicken coop. This winter seems a bit harsh this year and their getting really bold. Sending 1 coyote to distract Koda while the others trys to get into the coop. -rolls eyes in annoyance-

Now what do I do?

Last edited:
Well at least I know Koda is on the job!!
smile.png
Yeah but first thing I need to do is learn how to use a gun!!

Snares are one of the most effective means of trapping coyotes. Do a web search on snaring them. There are many fine links that go into great detail on how to do it.

You can get leg traps from a hunting store (Get the ones that have no teeth because otherwise it'll be illegal). Try to find out if they frequent certain areas. Once you know where they go, boil some water in a large drum or burn barrel and throw in some heavy flavor wood (hickory, maple, or other similar wood), and wait for the wood to get all through the water, after a bit tie some strings on the traps and toss them in the water and let them boil for a couple hours. After that the sent of them will be mostly gone and covered with the tree sent. Throw some paraffin wax in the pot and let it melt. Pull the traps slowly out by the string so that they get covered with the paraffin and that will help keep sent off them. Set the up and let them sit for a day or 2 then set and bait them.

Check the traps evening and mornings. Because they have no teeth it shouldn't harm animals too much and you'll be able to see what you catch. If you got a 'yote, a .22lr hollow point or magnum will take quick care of it and not leave a chance of traveling through.

I've ad to do something like this but traps don't stay in the sugar sand here. Used to work with Department of Environmental Protection and they suggested the traps to me. They used the same when studying them and removing pest 'yotes.

Novice here. What is LGD's please?

And to the op, you are very brave. There is NO WAY in you know what I would go running out there unless it was for my kids or Dh. Coyotes TERRIFY me. Along with wolves. I would of done the shooting from a porch. How scary.

We had coyotes where we used to live. 13 miles from where we are now. It was my grandparents house. And just 5 miles from there is a county forest where there are a minumum of 5 "known" packs of coyotes. We would see them right in our yard in the day time. I would never let my sons outside there alone. Coyotes have been known to steal toddlers too.

Trapping coyotes is difficult they are smart and havve very good nose. Unless you want to go through the hassle of buying leghold traps, then dying them, and then waxing them don't waste your time and money. There is a long slow learning curve to trapping coyotes successfully. Find a local trapper and ask him to come and get them for you. He will do a much better job and be happy to do it. You won't have to spend a dime.
big_smile.png
. I'm sure your local sporting goods store or feed store will let you post an add. There are some web sites like Trapperman.com that have alot of trappers who I am sure would be willing to help you. Maybe you can even find someone local to do it for you.

fordmommy

LGD is a Livestock Guardian Dog. There are several breeds. I use Great Pyrenees.
My dogs have killed several coyotes here, and my two puppies killed a skunk last week.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom