Exterminators and chickens

cackilacky

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
North Carolina
Hello, not sure where to post this. Hope this is the right place. We have a chronic indoor ant problem which has been brought under control by regular visits from an exterminator. He comes once a month and sprays something outside around the house. I mentioned to the company that we have chickens (and kids, cats, and dog) and was that stuff safe. They assured me that it was b/c it breaks down somehow and as long as I waited until it was dry to let everyone out, then no worries. Ashamed to say that I don't know what said stuff is called. DH recently started asking how can I be sure it's safe, we eat the eggs, etc. Good point! So, I'm wondering if anyone knows what is safe to use to exterminate (if anything.) I know the girls eat plenty of bugs, but that's not what I mean
smile.png

My husband was once an exterminator, so i asked him about this.

He said that the ones they usually say are pet safe are usually pyrethrin-based and are supposed to be safe for "most mammals."

He followed that by saying that none of them are truly safe....so take it for what it's worth.
wink.png

Separately, we used to have a terrible ant problem at our house, but after a full year of free-ranging chickens, we never see ants anymore. If i were you, i might consider using some true orange oil wherever you're having problems and see if the chickens can work on the problem outside. It's just a thought. I have quite a few chickens, so they may be better equipped, depending on the size of your flock.

*perfectly natural, orange oil dissolves the exoskeleton of ants but is harmless to humans and pets (outside, i guess, of some allergies)

My "bug-man" uses orange based products, and other than the spring when the ants swarm, we no longer have a problem. I knock out the fire ants by pouring 1 or 2 gallons of 'ant solution' in each mound after I rip it open. I use, 1/2 cup each of orange oil and Garret Juice ( http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/204/ ) in a gallon of water. The site has recipes for the juice and other organic solutions. I am about to treat the new chicken yards before I put the coops there and fence them in. I can get the orange oil for about $60 a gallon. Wish I could make it my self. It is the only pricey think I use in the yard/garden.

The fire ants aren't too bad here in Texoma, we do get a good frosts, and occasional freezing that helps with the ants. At least we get a brief break in Jan and Feb.

Thank you all for the advice. Our chickens do free range around our 3/4 acre lot, but the indoor ant problem is still bad during certain seasons. I will investigate the orange oil and natural treatments.

Back
Top Bottom