External pips 1 broke white membrane & 1 did not

ulifarm

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
I have 5 silkie eggs due to hatch in the incubator. 2 have externally pipped.

- Egg A: has broken the white membrane is chirping, approx 8 hours ago around 8 AM

- Egg B: has not broken the white membrane, approx 7 hours ago around 9 AM

The other 3 have not externally pipped (and I don't know if they internally pipped either).

At what point, do I help Egg B breaking the white membrane?

At what point, do I open the incubator and check on the other 3 who were moving and developed just yesterday?

06953B7A-5355-493B-8EA1-1D0CCA250C0B.jpeg

@Pyxis any recommendations? I went ahead and broke the white membrane for Egg B using a sharp screw, and it now looks like this.. wondering if I should use coconut oil on the membrane? Humidity is currently at 80%

Egg A has now broke off a good part of the shell & I can see it breathing just fine.

Now another egg has externally pipped that I know internally pipped so thats good news!

My other two concerns are the 2 eggs that have not yet externally pipped & ones which I wasn't confident on whether they internally pipped... Should I take them out and make the safety hole?

@Pyxis any recommendations? I went ahead and broke the white membrane for Egg B using a sharp screw, and it now looks like this.. wondering if I should use coconut oil on the membrane? Humidity is currently at 80%

Egg A has now broke off a good part of the shell & I can see it breathing just fine.

Now another egg has externally pipped that I know internally pipped so thats good news!

My other two concerns are the 2 eggs that have not yet externally pipped & ones which I wasn't confident on whether they internally pipped... Should I take them out and make the safety hole?
177CB4E1-6E17-4EBC-9C90-0C1A7EF4FF44.jpeg

EC0406E2-78F3-4E2E-92E9-D4D945EC5D28.jpeg

I have 5 silkie eggs due to hatch in the incubator. 2 have externally pipped.

- Egg A: has broken the white membrane is chirping, approx 8 hours ago around 8 AM

- Egg B: has not broken the white membrane, approx 7 hours ago around 9 AM

The other 3 have not externally pipped (and I don't know if they internally pipped either).

At what point, do I help Egg B breaking the white membrane?

At what point, do I open the incubator and check on the other 3 who were moving and developed just yesterday?

View attachment 2718434
"At what point, do I help Egg B breaking the white membrane?"

Don't do anything for about 24 hours.

No.

Give them time.

Yes, there's no need to interfere this early. It's a long process for them to absorb the yolk and for all the veins to retract. They already had access to air when they pipped internally. I know it's nerve wracking, but you have to refrain from interfering, especially so early in the process.

Back
Top Bottom