Externally pipped*help*

Kris10waine

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
I had my khaki Cambell duck egg externally pip. There was a hole on the egg but the membrane wasn’t open I made a hole for the bill to come out and she is chirping . Pretty much just resting but not making any progress. It’s been 8-10 hrs
The membrane is a light yellow color . Just seeing if this is normal or getting advice if I need to intervene.

Attachments

• E13E1495-5856-4EF6-B205-1FA7CF6AE531.jpeg
    E13E1495-5856-4EF6-B205-1FA7CF6AE531.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 17
We’re at 28 hours and now i see more
Feathers like he is inching onto possibly. I dabbed olive oil lightly on the membrane . Still chirping and opening mouth

Attachments

• 7D2F9093-D345-44F5-9227-52B9AF142C30.jpeg
    7D2F9093-D345-44F5-9227-52B9AF142C30.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 3
Kris, if it has not already hatched, go turn the shower on in your bathroom, close the door, and get it good, and steamy. You will need tweezers, and something with a fairly sharp end, to gently chip at the egg shell. I use a thumbtack, but it can be a small nail, a needle, an opened paper clip, etc. Disinfect your tweezers, and shell chipping instrument in alcohol, and wipe dry with a paper towel. Set this up in the bathroom. Now use very warm tap water, and wet a paper towel, or two, then squeeze out the excess water. Put the egg in it, and take it immediately to the bathroom, closing the door behind you. Now start chipping away, a little at a time, near the area that is open. Don't tear through the membrane, unless it's dry, and tears away on it's own. If the newly exposed membrane still has a good bit of veining, put it back in the incubator. If it's dry, or there's little to no veining, keep chipping until about half, or a bit more than half has been chipped away. By now, you should be able to tell if it's not quite ready, or if the duckling is stuck. If the membrane shows almost no veining, or none at all, and the duckling is stuck to the membrane, keep chipping on down to 3/4 of the way, leaving the umbilical cord attached to the egg. Use the dampened paper towel to moisten, not soak the membrane, so it can loosen up from the duckling, then replace it in the incubator.

It should be able to break free when it's ready.

Kris, if it has not already hatched, go turn the shower on in your bathroom, close the door, and get it good, and steamy. You will need tweezers, and something with a fairly sharp end, to gently chip at the egg shell. I use a thumbtack, but it can be a small nail, a needle, an opened paper clip, etc. Disinfect your tweezers, and shell chipping instrument in alcohol, and wipe dry with a paper towel. Set this up in the bathroom. Now use very warm tap water, and wet a paper towel, or two, then squeeze out the excess water. Put the egg in it, and take it immediately to the bathroom, closing the door behind you. Now start chipping away, a little at a time, near the area that is open. Don't tear through the membrane, unless it's dry, and tears away on it's own. If the newly exposed membrane still has a good bit of veining, put it back in the incubator. If it's dry, or there's little to no veining, keep chipping until about half, or a bit more than half has been chipped away. By now, you should be able to tell if it's not quite ready, or if the duckling is stuck. If the membrane shows almost no veining, or none at all, and the duckling is stuck to the membrane, keep chipping on down to 3/4 of the way, leaving the umbilical cord attached to the egg. Use the dampened paper towel to moisten, not soak the membrane, so it can loosen up from the duckling, then replace it in the incubator.

It should be able to break free when it's ready.
Thank you so so much !!! Very helpful information I’ll update

The key to most of it, is checking the membrane. It's not uncommon for it to take up to 48 hours after the initial hole. As I have mentioned, if there is a good bit of veining, put it back in the incubator. It's not ready yet.

If it's yawning still, it's not ready yet. I'd wait until it's at least been 36 hours since external pip. Ducks take a long time, and I'd be willing to bet it's not ready yet. He'll be able to get out on his own. He looks very healthy. One of the most common mistakes new hatchers make is assisting too early. They read a bunch and almost every first time hatcher assists at least one baby. They very rarely need to be assisted, I've only ever needed to assist 2 ducklings out of 100+ hatch. I'm sorry I didn't see the thread earlier, yesterday was a crazy busy day. Good luck with him, and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom