Extra large chicken breed information needed

Yep, number one advice is to stay away from hatchery stock at all costs, and try and aim for true show quality or imported stock. And by show I don't mean the local fair or 4H. You'll be surprised, because even the average "Buff Orpington" people have are very, very small compared to normal Orpingtons found in shows. The average backyard laying hen probably weighs around 4 lbs, while the standard for most heritage/american breeds asks for 7+ lbs. That is a big difference.

That being said, if you want big, some breeds to look into are Jersey Giants, Cochins, Orpingtons, Langshans, Brahmas, Malays, and Plymouth Rocks. Real ones.

Funny thing is, even the so-called small breeds like Polish are bigger than most laying hens. Just last night a lady who bought some chicks from me last year was telling me how big her Polish rooster she got from me was compared to her other chickens! (average barred rocks and black sex-links) Which is funny because Polish normally should weigh about 4 lbs less than true Rocks.

Im looking into extra large chickens. I have a realy large rooster that needs some big girls since the normal sized ones we have seem to run from him when they see him coming with that "look" in his eye..

Can anyone give me some info on different extra large breeds? Idealy, id like a jumbo buff orpington.. I love there temperment..

Thanks..

This is a pic of roosty.. We got him from a feed store.. He was supposed to be a she...

54686_april_232011_duck_chickens_030.jpg
Absolutely stunning.

Were do we get the largest ones?

I don't see Dixie Rainbow of any size being offered lately.
People say they go by different names but I don't know if they get as big as mine.
I've got a bunch of 75% Dixie Rainbow in my last two hatches.
I'm hoping to get 8+ pound hens from that mix.

I think Goldilocks here is about 10 pounds.
She is next to one of the first generation crosses that resulted from mating the Dixies to a Barred Rock rooster.

rachelgoldilocks1216.jpg

Last edited:
Following this.I recently got Jersey giants and Brahmas and they have gotten HUGE over the past week or so, biggest in the bunch,escpecially the two cockerels.I got them for predator proof, hard to pick up a twelve pound bird!

Back
Top Bottom