Extra large chicken breed information needed

AliciaM

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Yelm Washington
Im looking into extra large chickens. I have a realy large rooster that needs some big girls since the normal sized ones we have seem to run from him when they see him coming with that "look" in his eye..

Can anyone give me some info on different extra large breeds? Idealy, id like a jumbo buff orpington.. I love there temperment..

Thanks..

This is a pic of roosty.. We got him from a feed store.. He was supposed to be a she...

54686_april_232011_duck_chickens_030.jpg

We realy dont know for positive what he is.. but were thinking Langshan..

Thanks for the compliments on him.. He is a realy nice guy.. Not a mean bone in his body... LOL.. Hed look prettier, but I clipped his wings..
I didnt want him trying to get on a fence and falling off.. hes not all that graceful..

I know jersey giants are big.. I just dont know of any others..

If I was you I would find a good breeder of Langshans, Jersey Giants, Barahmas, Malay or even Aseel.
I would stay away from hatchery stock if you want big birds.
wink.png

Chris

Last edited:
I found this description on Langshans.. It fits roosty to a T.. (he has feathers, also.. just cant see them in the pic)

The principal characteristics of the Langshan, which it has in common with the Brahma and the Cochin, is the feathering on its legs and its masssive appearance. However, one significant difference is its high tail feathers. In both the male and female, the tail feathers are nearly the same height as the head. This gives the bird a V-shaped appearance when viewed from the side.

Im looking into extra large chickens. I have a realy large rooster that needs some big girls since the normal sized ones we have seem to run from him when they see him coming with that "look" in his eye..

Langshans can get very tall, taller than BJG.. European brahmas can hit 34 inches tall.. I had a giant my self at 30 inches tall he was Huge...

here is my tall cochin hen

Back
Top Bottom