Extra large egg?

Happy hen lover

Free Ranging
Jan 14, 2021
SW Nebraska
I have 2 red star sex links, (started laying first,; then I get 1 more medium egg every day ...either my sussex or my rhode island red. Every 3-4 days I get this honking large egg. My question is that my rhode island or sussex? Your thoughts?

Can we have a picture of your birds and the egg? Also welcome to BYC!
IMG_20201208_143022.jpg

Welcome to BYC! Are the huge eggs double yolkers?
I have had Rhode Island Red and Speckled Sussex hens. The Sussex laid smaller, beige colored eggs. The RIR laid darker brown, larger eggs.
PXL_20210114_211019879.jpg

I have had Rhode Island Red and Speckled Sussex hens. The Sussex laid smaller, beige colored eggs. The RIR laid darker brown, larger eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_143008.jpg
    IMG_20201208_143008.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201208_143004.jpg
    IMG_20201208_143004.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201208_142944.jpg
    IMG_20201208_142944.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210114_211014221.jpg
    PXL_20210114_211014221.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 4
I have 2 red star sex links, (started laying first,; then I get 1 more medium egg every day ...either my sussex or my rhode island red. Every 3-4 days I get this honking large egg. My question is that my rhode island or sussex? Your thoughts?
Can we have a picture of your birds and the egg? Also welcome to BYC!

Duh! Yes it is a double holler! I never thought about that I've been giving mine away or saving for low egg laying times. That does make sense since it only happens maybe twice a week. Thanks for reply

I have 2 hens (mix of Rhode Island Red and White Rock). One of the hens started laying last year around October and has consistently laid normal size eggs. The second hen started laying about a month ago and has been laying nothing but really big eggs. All single yolk. Any ideas why the difference? The hens are the same age.
They really are single yolk eggs ? they're huge! I guess she just a super Chicken:woot

It's cold here in Northern Ohio I have heated nestboxes and heated flooring my husband put in for the ducks so they don't get sore feet so they would rather sit in the snow goofy birds
Yes that's cold for sure. I'm in southern NE but I've been giving them some heat at 3 am on till daylight. My hubby wants me to leave it on 24hrs right now It's cold here this week single digits. We do have heated water system so that helps. Stay warm .

The heated water system is the best I built mine my husband said it was silly to do he now says ok you were right it gets to single digits its cold 🥶 it's pretty warm in my coop though they're spoiled
Yes I love not having to hassle with frozen water in this cold!! We got the idea for ours off of you tube . We use a cooler aquarium heater, fountain pump , an a loop in the PVC. ( Gave my retired hubby a PROJECT YAY!) Do you let them out every day no matter what?

Yes I love not having to hassle with frozen water in this cold!! We got the idea for ours off of you tube . We use a cooler aquarium heater, fountain pump , an a loop in the PVC. ( Gave my retired hubby a PROJECT YAY!) Do you let them out every day no matter what?
I never lock them in they come and go as they please my run is predator proof on steroids as my husband says

How old is your SS? Her comb doesn't look very red in the picture, so she may not be laying yet. Mine didn't start until they were 30 weeks. Their eggs are s/m size and cream/tan color. Here is a SS egg next to an ISA egg I took a couple days ago.
20210209_053711.jpg

Back
Top Bottom