Extreamly Lethargic Chick

Kandire

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Ohio
DH and I went to check on our chicks this afternoon and noted that one of my golden comets was separated from the group and sleeping. DH picked her up and she opened her eyes, then immediately went back to sleep. He handed her to me and I noticed that she was a little cold and her feathers were all puffed out. We moved her back to the garage and put one of the heat lamps on her. DH tried rolling her on her back and several other things, and she never fought him, just opened her eyes for a minute and returned to sleep. The other chicks appear to be acting normal, didn't notice a runny nose or any other symptoms. She is 5-6 weeks old and the smallest of the group. Please let me know if there is something we can give to her or that we need to be doing to help her!!

I would treat with a round of Corid just in case she's brewing a case of coccidiosis. If she is it will kill her fast. I would just go ahead and treat them all. Her age makes her prone and her symptoms are classic. It never, ever hurts to treat if you even suspect that might be what is going on, but left untreated it will kill.

Last edited:
I would treat with a round of Corid just in case she's brewing a case of coccidiosis. If she is it will kill her fast. I would just go ahead and treat them all. Her age makes her prone and her symptoms are classic. It never, ever hurts to treat if you even suspect that might be what is going on, but left untreated it will kill.
x2. Corid can be found in the cattle section in a feed store.

Just an update. She is doing really good, eating and drinking on her own and socializing with her sisters! Thank you all for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom