Extreme Cold

bdsanders

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
Hi everyone! So I have raised chickens before but I have not done it into our extreme cold climate before. Today was -20F and -35 with the windchill. We don't stay at these extreme temps for long but it will be for at least the next week. I repurposed a 8x8 shed. I have about 5 1/2" of bedding, I insulated the walls, and the ceiling. I left the ceiling with just insulation and did not cover it like I did the walls with paneling. I did purchase some radiant heat panels to place one under nesting area and another to hang on wall by roosting area. Any thoughts on how to handle this type of extreme weather? I know I've heard the chickens will be fine but most people when they say that are not thinking of this level of cold. I will have about 30 chickens in there eventually. Any tips on making sure they do fine? A panel accommodates 6 chickens, I'd need like 5 more at this rate. I do have electricity in there as well. Any thoughts from people who have dealt with this level of cold would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, I am dealing with the same thing, and have in years past. Several years ago we got down to negative 35 degrees, real temperature, not wind chill. They came through fine.

I suggest more bedding on the floor, good ventilation, no heat. Keep them dry, and they keep themselves warm. Unless they are very young chicks as in less than 2 weeks, or very old and infirm, they will do fine. Seriously had a broody hen raise 2 week old chicks in negative 25 degrees, the chicks ran all over like mice, and then she would call for a warm up, and they would all scuttle under her.

Do soak grain, and try and change out your water in the morning, and mid afternoon. I have had much better luck with soaked grain, rather than mash of feed. That just turns to mush and freezes solid, where as they can peck a grain free of the solid. It helps keep them hydrated.

Mrs K

I don't provide any extra heat at those temperatures and my birds are fine. They may look a bit colder, but I've never lost one. Make sure the bedding is thick, and water is not frozen, and slightly warm. I also toss out some extra corn, and boss for some extra fat, and calories to help them keep warm.

I repurposed a 8x8 shed.
Don't put 30 birds in there.
8 max if you don't have a weather and predator proof run.

Is shed metal or wood?
What kind of ventilation?
Pics would help us help you.

I give a weekly dose of EL/Vits during cold snaps.
Deets here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

We never got any feedback on your other thread @bdsanders
Hope you come back and communicate.
You're gonna want power out there, to keep water thawed in winter.
Get your birds on horizontal nipples before winter,
best evaporation and freeze free way to winter water.
Plus the other reasons @Ridgerunner explained so well.
If you can hard wire to code, do it.
Extension cord can work, but has it's risks.

Welcome to BYC! @bdsanders
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2176117

Last edited:
Yes, I am dealing with the same thing, and have in years past. Several years ago we got down to negative 35 degrees, real temperature, not wind chill. They came through fine.

I suggest more bedding on the floor, good ventilation, no heat. Keep them dry, and they keep themselves warm. Unless they are very young chicks as in less than 2 weeks, or very old and infirm, they will do fine. Seriously had a broody hen raise 2 week old chicks in negative 25 degrees, the chicks ran all over like mice, and then she would call for a warm up, and they would all scuttle under her.

Do soak grain, and try and change out your water in the morning, and mid afternoon. I have had much better luck with soaked grain, rather than mash of feed. That just turns to mush and freezes solid, where as they can peck a grain free of the solid. It helps keep them hydrated.

Mrs K
Thanks for information! What do you do for soaking grain? I looked it up and seen a guy do an air bubbler type set up, but he said just soaking it for about 18 hours helps a lot. do you feed it to them wet? Could you tell me how you do this? Thanks so much!!

I don’t provide heat at those temperatures. I will provide heat for those -30F weeks but this doesn’t include windchill.
I have all drafts blocked in my run and coop, so windchill doesn’t affect them.
Hi thank you for your reply!!! I have a nice run for the chickens. Would you suggest just keeping them in the coop and shutting chicken door during these extreme days? Thanks again!!

Don't put 30 birds in there.
8 max if you don't have a weather and predator proof run.

Is shed metal or wood?
What kind of ventilation?
Pics would help us help you.

I give a weekly dose of EL/Vits during cold snaps.
Deets here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

We never got any feedback on your other thread @bdsanders
Hope you come back and communicate.
Hello! I do have a run and it is predator proof especially being out in the country now. The shed outside is metal and has wood 2x4 framing on inside. It used to be a kennel for 4 dogs with two kennel runs on each side. I don't have a current pick but this is when I was gutting it out, so there is another run on the left side as well. I completely gutted it out, put new insulation in, replaced outlets and light, put 3/4" plywood over the concrete floor in the coop itself and then have several staggered 2x4 perches inside giving about 27 feet of perching space which gives each of the 30 chickens 10.8 inches of space each. It also has a community stainless steal nesting box that accommodates up to 45 hens. it has a large window, I added a vent up high, I also have one auto door that goes to one side of the run and will be adding another to the other run in nice weather. I insulated the ceiling but I did not finish the ceiling and left as is. I also covered the top of the kennel and made a roof out of old kennel fencing that was in the middle of the kennel and then I put metal roofing on. I will be putting hardware cloth eventually around the kennel but not sure if it's necessary as I will lock them in coop at night. I am getting my 6 one year old chickens back that I used to own at my old house but were part of the sale of my old house as I had a coop and they wanted it. I get them this Wednesday and the other 24 will be at the end of this month as chicks but I will have them inside until about 8 weeks. Can you explain EL/Vits more? Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• coop 1.jpg
    coop 1.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom