EXTREME NEWBEE from Tennessee

tylgar6601

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
SOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!!! I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys, ages 8 and 10. My 10 year old is getting 25 baby chicks from our local 4-H program. The entire family is VERY EXCITED about this:) We do not know the 1st thing about raising baby chickens or chickens at all. We are planning on being in this for a long time and are planning on more chickens in the future. They wont be here for another month, but want to be prepared when they get here. We have NOTHING for our babies yet and need some advice on a brooder for our babies. We are planning on building something that we can use over and over. We are going to put them in our garage till they get big enough for an outside pen. Now here goes all the questions:)
What is a good size for our brooder, and what do I need to make sure it has everything our babies need?
I am sure there will be LOTS MORE QUESTIONS TO COME. Just need to get this built first then we will be in good shape. Did I mention my boys are super excited about this???? :) Thanks you in advance for ANY HELP

Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio....glad you joined us. New babies, how exciting ! There are some specific guidelines for square footage on your brooder. Some of the more experienced guys and gals will reply to you soon about those questions. Good luck. Cute avatar

thanks so much for the welcome. Can't wait to get started on our new home for our babies. I look forward to getting all the info on the best way to build our brooder. Thanks for the comment on my avatar. That is a pic of my boys. They are going to be the ones that are helping with the new chics:) Thought that was an appropriate pic;-)

SOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!!! I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys, ages 8 and 10. My 10 year old is getting 25 baby chicks from our local 4-H program. The entire family is VERY EXCITED about this:) We do not know the 1st thing about raising baby chickens or chickens at all. We are planning on being in this for a long time and are planning on more chickens in the future. They wont be here for another month, but want to be prepared when they get here. We have NOTHING for our babies yet and need some advice on a brooder for our babies. We are planning on building something that we can use over and over. We are going to put them in our garage till they get big enough for an outside pen. Now here goes all the questions:)
What is a good size for our brooder, and what do I need to make sure it has everything our babies need?
I am sure there will be LOTS MORE QUESTIONS TO COME. Just need to get this built first then we will be in good shape. Did I mention my boys are super excited about this???? :) Thanks you in advance for ANY HELP

Welcome to BYC!

Question #1. "What is a good size for our brooder?"

I would use a big stock tank with a heat lamp attached to the side. A stock tank would provide them with enough room to get away from each other

Question #2. "What do I need to make sure it has everything our babies need?"

They will need feeders and waterers. Your local Runnings feed store should have all of that. Just ask what waterers and feeders would be suitable for chicks.

Good luck!

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom